LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

rockaway surf schools

starting to get out of hand. there are i think three operating now and clogging up the surf beach at 67th with their soft top barges. do these guys have permits? pay taxes? can i open my own surf school for me and my friends and kick everyone off 'our' jetty?

seriously, you guys who run these camps are the lowest of the low. you clog up the beach, create larger crowds and all for your own pathetic bottom line. get a real job, kooks

they def. contribute to the crowding down there. No real surfer would do this to their local beach breaks which are already crowded. You are right... they are really going overboard... I even see ads for them at bus stops... its ridiculous...

This actually goes for almost all surf schools. A lot of the people I know who work or run these things portray themselves as the most xenophobic, locals only, Surf or Die guys out there; when theyíre not teaching that is. "I surf all day, every day." Really? No, you teach people from Iowa how to clog up the inside for 8$ an hour plus tips bra and actually only surf an hour day, nice tan though. No sense of irony. Or my favorite line from my some of my surfing instructor acquaintances, ďI donít surf on weekends, because itís too crowded.Ē Too crowded for you? Huh, wonder how that happened? Check out these guys rides when theyíre done giving a lesson, I can guarantee, at least one of them will have a ďSurfing Sucks. Donít try it.Ē sticker. Iíve taught people how to surf, I have no beef with teaching people how to surf or people learning to surf or people who canít surf being on the water. Thatís part of the ride, I bought the ticket. That being said, Iím sure there are good surf schools run by people who are not opportunistic drunks, felons, or hypocrites who could actually find some other gainful means of employment. However, much like life on other planets, it hasnít been found yet.

let me be blunt, what would it take to shut them down?

Quote Originally Posted by travy View Post
    I believe that can't happen... I was down on the beach all day yesterday chattin it up watching my nieces and nephews play in the water... when a buddy of mine was telling me how his young kids are enrolled in the above mentioned surf school for 3 days of "surf camp".... the parents will funnel the money just as they would pay for soccer camp or the same for their kids to be in an activity... I had to bite my tonque when he was telling me this...

Quote Originally Posted by travy View Post
    Good luck with that...last i heard this was a free country. As long as they're not breaking any laws, you're not going to be able to do much of anything to shut them down. You could check in to their status as taxpayers, but I imagine at least some of them are legit. You could try talking to them as a group and see if there is some compromise that can be made.

As much of a nuisance as crap like this is, it's part of summer - 2.5 months a year, and then they're gone.

My advice, surf early or surf late.

Quote Originally Posted by zrich View Post
    Good luck with that...last i heard this was a free country. As long as they're not breaking any laws, you're not going to be able to do much of anything to shut them down. You could check in to their status as taxpayers, but I imagine at least some of them are legit. You could try talking to them as a group and see if there is some compromise that can be made.

As much of a nuisance as crap like this is, it's part of summer - 2.5 months a year, and then they're gone.

My advice, surf early or surf late.
    it's public property and there are laws governing it. ones like 'no tents on the beach' which the camps ignore. i'm no lawyer but i don't think i can go set up a soccer academy in central park legally.. i'd love for them to go away but i'd also like to know under what conditions they are operating their private business on property i pay taxes to maintain.

just incase you were not ticked off by them enough... here's a good site to check out.
    http://localssurfschool.com/

just called 311 and all the schools need is a permit and they're cool to do business. not sure if there's some kind of limit on how many camps can set up. i hope they're at least having to pay someone off for the permit..

that local surf school site just made me throw up in my mouth. words fail. :^( maybe we could set up a how hassle kooks school on the same beach and scare off some of their business?

honestly, the only thing to be done, which is sorely needed in the rockaway lineups... is to police the heck out of the breaks. that would mean that regulars/real locals get in people's face about dropping in and start learning the surf etiquette of a lineup. 90th street is no longer a viable surfbreak unless its real big and prevents the kooks from paddling out...