LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    i agree completely but hate to beef in the water especially over slop but i'd hate all of the rockaways to get like 90th.. sigh, this is why i drink...

To me, the issue isn't even the surf schools. Yeah, they suck and cause crowding issues, but there's obviously enough demand to keep these guys employed, so you can't really blame them for satisfying the demand. The real issue to me is the lack of access for surfing in general in the NYC area during the summer months. If more beaches were open to surfers during the day, I don't think the surf schools would be such an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by zrich View Post
    To me, the issue isn't even the surf schools. Yeah, they suck and cause crowding issues, but there's obviously enough demand to keep these guys employed, so you can't really blame them for satisfying the demand. The real issue to me is the lack of access for surfing in general in the NYC area during the summer months. If more beaches were open to surfers during the day, I don't think the surf schools would be such an issue.
    i should have been clearer that this is my main gripe. yes, i personally hate surf schools for the pathetic no job kooks they are, but i support their right to exist. the problem is letting them set up on the one of the only two surf beaches in the area. it's not as big a deal when you can surf anywhere.

Does Long Beach, NY have any of this chit surf school stuff going on?

Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    Does Long Beach, NY have any of this chit surf school stuff going on?
    Yes, but surfing access was expanded in LB this summer (still sucks, but better than before). The schools are now operating on one of the "permanent" surf beaches and one non-surf beach (so the school has it's own beach). Thus, there are a couple of surf beaches with no surf schools.

Quote Originally Posted by travy View Post
    let me be blunt, what would it take to shut them down?
    What have you tried? Did you talk to the surf school about your concerns?

If they need a permit to operate the business on public land, then some elected official oversees the permit process. Talk to them and let them know its causing problems.

One last thing..."shut them down" is not the right message if you want to have your concerns taken seriously. Nobody wants to shut down a legit business.

"operate their surf school in a less hazardous location" might be a more productive request.

Good luck....when they paddle/wade out 10 soft tops thick on a decent peak its pretty annoying.