LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    as a former guard of 10 years, i can honestly say that while you have a legal "out" in such circumstances, you still have a moral or ethical obligation. personally, i don't think i'd be able to live w/ myself if i didn't go b/c sharks or whatever...the very nature of the job entails putting your life at risk for another. the captain of the first patrol i worked for put it best: you have to go, you just don't have to come back.
    i applaud the guy for what he did; screw the rules, screw the bs, save the life & deal w/ the fallout later.
    Hey man, why did you cut my quote in a fraction? If you are going to quote me, at least quote my whole write-up, including: "At the same time, he made his mind and acted in the best interest of saving another's life. I think that this lifeguard will be back on the stand next week."

Highlight "best interest."

Looks like he was offered his job back, but has declined it, good for him. Also I read that they were going to reach out the others who where fired for saying they would do the same thing. Good on the kid who saved the life, I am sure he will be just fine and find another job that will pay him more than $8.25/hour.

I don't know much about Dirty Jerzy, but I do know y'all are much more union-friendly than we are down here. Are the guards unionized? How about their bosses?

The whole situation sounds like a union decision. The guard must have been "taking food from the other guard's daughters' mouths" (typical union hyperbole) by jumping into another zone to do his job, so maybe that was why he was fired. Or, did he forget to call his administrator to make sure there were two other guards on-site, one currently making overtime, the other double-timing because he's coming up on retirement and needs to prop his final pension salary up. Of course, there was probably the tenured senior quadriplegic guard who's zone the other guard intruded into and they fired the life-saving guard because he threatened the quadriplegic guard's guaranteed job......

Just a thought... I like opining about union antics when I'm bored at work and there are no waves.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    I don't know much about Dirty Jerzy, but I do know y'all are much more union-friendly than we are down here. Are the guards unionized? How about their bosses?

The whole situation sounds like a union decision. The guard must have been "taking food from the other guard's daughters' mouths" (typical union hyperbole) by jumping into another zone to do his job, so maybe that was why he was fired. Or, did he forget to call his administrator to make sure there were two other guards on-site, one currently making overtime, the other double-timing because he's coming up on retirement and needs to prop his final pension salary up. Of course, there was probably the tenured senior quadriplegic guard who's zone the other guard intruded into and they fired the life-saving guard because he threatened the quadriplegic guard's guaranteed job......

Just a thought... I like opining about union antics when I'm bored at work and there are no waves.
    This happened in S. Florida

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    This happened in S. Florida
    LOL, oops!

Isn't South Florida like Jersey but warm anyway? (it's a joke, folks...)

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    LOL, oops!

Isn't South Florida like Jersey but warm anyway? (it's a joke, folks...)
    HAHA, Similar, or so i've heard, I prefer North / Central FL, world of difference

FYI - "Legoland wants to hire lifeguard who was fired for leaving post to save swimmer."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/11...est=latestnews

Quote Originally Posted by dlrouen View Post
    FYI - "Legoland wants to hire lifeguard who was fired for leaving post to save swimmer."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/11...est=latestnews
    That's awesome, good for him, wow news travels fast these days

Images
    I don't know much about Dirty Jerzy, but I do know y'all are much more union-friendly than we are down here. Are the guards unionized? How about their bosses?<br /><br />The whole situation sounds like a union decision. The guard must have been \"taking food from the other guard's daughters' mouths\" (typical union hyperbole) by jumping into another zone to do his job, so maybe that was why he was fired. Or, did he forget to call his administrator to make sure there were two other guards on-site, one currently making overtime, the other double-timing because he's coming up on retirement and needs to prop his final pension salary up. Of course, there was probably the tenured senior quadriplegic guard who's zone the other guard intruded into and they fired the life-saving guard because he threatened the quadriplegic guard's guaranteed job......<br /><br />Just a thought... I like opining about union antics when I'm bored at work and there are no waves.
    <br /><br />Wow, do you realize that if you get a lunch break, a smoke break, an 8 hour day, any kind of benefits, these were all fought for by people in unions. How about this, if you have a semi-nice salary, its because the union guy does. As union pay goes down, so does middle Americas. It sounds like his manager was the problem to me. Of course I'm in a union so what do I know.
    Last edited by natkitchen; Jul 12, 2012 at 02:09 PM.