LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Since you don't have anything that is really securing you down, why not go for Utah.
    Then, give it a few months, and its not working for you, make a change.

Do it... unless you're planning on getting married chicks come and go... remove from the equation. Doing man sh!t in the wilderness, helping folks, building a resume, saving money, having a lifetime of stories to tell, and every other week off and I'm sure major holidays? Why wouldn't you do it?... If you're dedicated... and you'd have to be to... probably surf as many, if not more, good days out west as you already do in RI. It'd be like 180 South all gnarly wilderness types and then they shred. Don't be afraid to step out side the ol' comfort zone...too many people are... don't let fear of missing sh!tty waves influence you too heavily. I did once in my life and it kept me back for too long...afraid to make a move... to miss a swell... took a leap of faith that seemingly sucked... largely missing out on surfing for a few years in my prime 20s... to reap the benefits in my early 30s...two years of straight Pacific ocean and Indian ocean perfection surfing places that most others on this side of the world only talk about.

The waves will never stop bombarding the edge of our country...they are the constant...this job opportunity is not. I would take the job in Utah, earn some money and knowledge/experience of the wilderness as well as help fellow human beings. You have every other week off to hit the coast. If its flat out, you can travel somewhere else since you have income. With out a job in surf city, if its flat, your out of surf and have no real $$ to go somewhere else (for surf or not).

Summary: Utah!

Best thing I ever did for my career was moving away from the ocean. Best thing I ever did for my soul (and my waistline) was move back.

i would say give it a go. itll be one hell of a life experience and make surfing that much better once you get back. and yeah, getting outside of your comfort zone like someone else mentioned is a good thing.

Images
    I'll third the getting out of the ol' comfort zone.
    Traveling is important, as it lets you see other ways to live.

Go to Utah! I have been a surfer for 25yrs and always made decisions based on the ocean surf etc.. I have realized as much as I love surfing that it can be replaced with other things. Help those people in Utah and get the outdoor experience you need it will help you in the future and hopefully will be rewarding.

Maybe explore other opportunities to do similar work helping people, but on a coastline. Where I live there are numerous jobs available helping others learn to surf...kids with disablities, wounded soldiers, people in recovery...etc. What I honestly do anytime before making a big decision is divide a sheet of paper in half and right down the pros and cons. I add to the sheet for about a week, because reasons will continually pop in your head. Once you've given yourself enough time to compile the list, look at it closely and then make your decision.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Stranded in Smithfield View Post
    Do it... unless you're planning on getting married chicks come and go... remove from the equation. Doing man sh!t in the wilderness, helping folks, building a resume, saving money, having a lifetime of stories to tell, and every other week off and I'm sure major holidays? Why wouldn't you do it?... If you're dedicated... and you'd have to be to... probably surf as many, if not more, good days out west as you already do in RI. It'd be like 180 South all gnarly wilderness types and then they shred. Don't be afraid to step out side the ol' comfort zone...too many people are... don't let fear of missing sh!tty waves influence you too heavily. I did once in my life and it kept me back for too long...afraid to make a move... to miss a swell... took a leap of faith that seemingly sucked... largely missing out on surfing for a few years in my prime 20s... to reap the benefits in my early 30s...two years of straight Pacific ocean and Indian ocean perfection surfing places that most others on this side of the world only talk about.

this was the single best thing I have read in the past few months. I think the decision has been made, thanks guys

10. Quote Originally Posted by beezheels View Post
    Maybe explore other opportunities to do similar work helping people, but on a coastline. Where I live there are numerous jobs available helping others learn to surf...kids with disablities, wounded soldiers, people in recovery...etc. What I honestly do anytime before making a big decision is divide a sheet of paper in half and right down the pros and cons. I add to the sheet for about a week, because reasons will continually pop in your head. Once you've given yourself enough time to compile the list, look at it closely and then make your decision.
    Trust me I have applied to numerous jobs, in numerous fields. With a Business Administration degree its difficult to get anywhere without a little networking. Sure I could find another sales job, but I'm really not a sales guy. Im dying to branch out of the corpo ladder climb, and get into something interesting. My plan is to take this job (since its pretty much a sure thing) get the experience I need and move on in about a year.

For the past 8 years I have based all of my decisions on waves, its brought me to some incredible areas along the east coast between Florida and Cape Cod, but at the same time I missed out on an excellent opportunity in Vail CO. A move west away from the hustle is needed, I am just trying to take any opportunity I can get.

I am trying to look at how many days Ive paddled out here and its been a mind blowing session, and while there has been a solid bunch its not really something worth staying for. Being 6 hours from a coast with a week off every two weeks doesn't seem to be that bad a situation, It reminds me of heading to vermont to snowboard ( which I do often in the winter with a regular work schedule).

Call it a stepping stone if you will, Surfing is what shaped the way I think and taught me to experience whatever I can before I die.

Game on.