LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Surfing vs. Bodyboarding

I was out surfing one time and this bodyboarder was hogging all of the waves. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to start something but it was annoying as crap. I also hate when they try and make it seem like it's hard to do and they're masters of the water because they can boogieboard, people do it when they are like 5 so you're not hard or anything, just gay. Bodyboarding is fun and all, but when a swell's on I think that they should be a lot more aware of surfers, anyone else think so?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bensurfn View Post
    I didn't say anything
    come on man. defend yourself in the water not on the internet

Quote Originally Posted by bensurfn View Post
    I also hate when they try and make it seem like it's hard to do and they're masters of the water because they can boogieboard, people do it when they are like 5 so you're not hard or anything, just gay.
    I've seen body boarders/bodysurfers drop in on waves that would give you nightmares and a salt water enima, as well. There's a difference between knowing your place in the line-up based on respect, skill level and hierarchy and automatically assuming that you're afforded a wide berth based on the fact that you own a surfboard.

Obviously a very controversial topic, but I couldnt agree more. I was "boogieboarding" when i was 5 probably younger. I mean sh*t anyone can just lay down on a board and ride out a wave. I think my grandma could do it, I mean I see middle aged overweight women boogieboarding! It's a freakin joke! Boogieboarding is something anyone can do. Stand the Ef UP! Now I will give some boogieboarders credit and when i say some i mean a "select" few. I have a few buddies that charge and when its big they do, do some sick stuff. Not to mention there is an art to it, and a style as well, and when mastered its pretty freakin cool. But all in all I my attitude doesnt change in the lineup between surfer and boogieboarder. We are all out there just trying to get some fun ones!

Images
    boogie boarders are fine as long as they sit on the shoulder......

Images
    agree with the original post, to a point. I'm not sure how bodyboarders play it Stateside, but the locals here have no concept of either rotating or sharing. They're able to take off earlier than those of us on shortboards, and take full advantage of it, basically taking everything they can. Respect, skill level and heirarchy have nothing to do with it. Greed is the rule.
    And before you go off on the "respect locals" theme, it is irrelevant on this island. Locals go at each other, bodyboarders calling local surfers off waves, even when the surfer plans on going left. They even call other bodyboarders off waves.
    There's no reason bodyboarders couldn't share a wave with each other, perhaps even 3 on larger waves. But they don't. Hey, if 6 surfers can share a wave at Waimea or Mavericks, 2 or 3 can do it on smaller stuff.

And as for degree of difficulty, no contest. Riding a wave on your stomach vs. standing...you'll never convince me the former is difficult.

Tom Morey deserves a place in he#l. In the early years of production, he let scrap cuttings blow all over the Baja landscape. That's not the only reason!

Images
    boogieboarding.....LOL That word is hilarious......You gotta say it with a fake New York accent though. Makes it 100 times better.

yeah i refuse to use the word Bodyboard.......... They definitely Boogie

"And before you go off on the "respect locals" theme, it is irrelevant on this island. "

I lived in Puerto Rico for a while. I would move back in a second. Boogies or no boogies I figued out a way to not stress over it and fill my wave quota one way or another.