LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

suggestions for next board

to celebrate the flat spell, i'm buying a new board. Please offer any suggestions/places to start looking. This is what i know<br /><br />surf in the northeast<br />1.5yrs surfing, but get to go often (maybe 125 sessions)<br />currently on a 7'10\" nsp fun board (too slow and want something to fit in the wave better)<br />5'10\" 170lbs<br />went to look at fish, but was suggested a rusty dwart<br /><br />So, please help if you can. let me know what worked for you stepping down. i'm shelling out some dough for my first new board and i want to get the right board for me to advance and ride more crummy 3' new england waves longer<br /><br />thanks

Images
    local shaper.

Images
    google it. there are way too many small wave boards out there

i step down from a 7'6 funboard to a 6'2 lost rocket and it work great for me..you should search for cheap used hybrid shortboards around 6 to 6'2ish and figure out what works for you first.then you can sell or trade it in..you won't fine the perfect board until you ride a couple boards first.

A few weeks ago, someone asked a similar question; except, they did not want to drop the dime. Check out the Firewire Addvance. Before everyone starts bashing "Firewire," at least check out the dimensions of THIS board. Worth playing around with your local shaper, if anything. I also heard some great things about the JS Pier Pony. Regardless, I would try and concentrate on finding a board with a more rounded nose.

Images
    I'm not gonna knock the Firewire but why spend $700+ on a board when you can get the same thing from a local shaper for at least $200 less...........just makes good sense.

Quote Originally Posted by wave1rider65 View Post
    I'm not gonna knock the Firewire but why spend $700+ on a board when you can get the same thing from a local shaper for at least $200 less...........just makes good sense.
    Again, "worth playing around with your local shaper, if anything."

I am not saying Firewire is the best label and that you can justify the price; however, the Addvance is a great design and rides like a champ. I picked one up last November and I had a blast throughout the winter.

8. I will add that when you drop down from a funboard to a short board, you cut your ride-able surfing days in half, so keep that fun board around or you will quickly grow to hate this coast. If it's in an effort to expand on your quiver, go for it. Short board on anything under waist high, especially short period and/or high tide mush, is no bueno

disagree. you just have to figure out how to ride the smaller waves on the smaller board..hint..learning how to make your own speed.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    disagree. you just have to figure out how to ride the smaller waves on the smaller board..hint..learning how to make your own speed.
    very true, I usually make sure I eat a lot of beans the night before I surf mushburgers on my 4'10"....it's amazing how gas can propel you through the water. It might smell, but as long as your having fun!