LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You're average height and weight. Assuming you're becoming proficient at surfing, here are some talking points to discuss with your local shaper:

small wave template and rocker for easy wave catching
    volume distribution for easy paddling and stability
    fin setup for weaker, smaller surf

some numbers to start your discussion:

length: 6'2 - 6'4
    width: 21"
    nose width: 13"
    tail width: 15"
    nose rocker: 4" - 4 1/4"
    tail rocker: 2" - 2 1/8
    thickness: 2 1/2 - 2 5/8 fully foiled
    wide point at center
    slightly crowned deck with medium - medium/full modern rails; extended tucked edge
    quad or thruster/quad convertible

2. Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    very true, I usually make sure I eat a lot of beans the night before I surf mushburgers on my 4'10"....it's amazing how gas can propel you through the water. It might smell, but as long as your having fun!
    yes, the key to sh*tty surfing! Because that's what I think when I see someone "pumping" in a little wave on a short board.

Quote Originally Posted by purpleheadedyogurtslinger View Post
    yes, the key to sh*tty surfing! Because that's what I think when I see someone "pumping" in a little wave on a short board.
    OOOHHH but standing on a log and letting the wave push you is SOOOO exciting....

you just can't go wrong with a traditional outlined fish. so much fun to ride in so many situations.

Images
    RAABBLE rabble rabble longboard arrrghhhh shortboard arrggh no shampoo is better! no conditioner is better!

6. it was question on a forum. I recommended a log over a short board in little waves. That is all. I just want this dude to get waves!

I'm not hating on short boards at all I wish the conditions more often warranted their use. I have a bunch of them hanging around from my days of denial and for the pipe dream that we will see head high again sometime soon. I surf almost every day on the log and it hasn't topped knee high in weeks. Reality of it is that it is more often than not, short board is the wrong tool for the job.

purplewhoeveryouare... you make a valid point. I don't ride a performance shortboard until it's at least chest high. Anything under that and I'm more likely to ride a log, fish, or groveler shortboard... which is what this guy's looking for.

He has a longer board. He wants to get off it, and he wants to go shorter. There's a board for that.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    OOOHHH but standing on a log and letting the wave push you is SOOOO exciting....
    for some people it is.... why rain on others' parade? Do you ride a shortboard just so you can think your tougher than guys who ride longboards. I guarantee people who ride logs surf way more days a year than you...

your just WAYYY too cool for this forum, pumpmaster....you must have really low self-esteem issues, 'cause every post you've ever made is about how tough you are...put your lab coat on and STFU

9. easy kenny powers I took a shot at him first. All is good, I'm sure the OP will get a good short board (hopefully he won't get suckered into anything too trendy or over $500) and learn the time and place to use his new tool. That is exactly what a quiver is. The more boards you have the more days you can surf, variety is the spice of life.

If it has to be short, make sure that it has very little rocker, wide tail, and plenty of width. You don't want to get anything remotely "pro model" unless you have a trip planned to the north shore this winter.

blah blah blah

that issue was you need a log for small surf. i disagreed since you can ride a fish, or groveler in very small surf. then there was the pumping comment.

dont hate cause your a kook. learn a little and you will get better and more accepted.

purple, in principle i agree. a log gets way more small wave but you CAN learn to ride a shortboard in small stuff. Like you said, its not really pretty until you get it dialed but it can be done and have a good time.