LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Board short shorts

Board shorts are getting shorter... my pasty white thighs are showing.

Are we going back to neon and OP's?

Quote Originally Posted by Gfootr View Post
    Board shorts are getting shorter... my pasty white thighs are showing.

Are we going back to neon and OP's?
    OPs for life.

At least they weren't $70 f ing bucks!

If it's not Magnum P.I. short, it's too long.

If boardshorts keep getting shorter, what will we be wearing in ten years?

Time to break out the hammocks.

Images
    The nonslip man thong

Images
    it's not that they are getting shorter - it's just that they've gotten way longer over the past 15 years and now they are returning to being, well, shorts. somewhere along the way, board shorts (aka baggies) became went from being shorts to half-pants and now the pendulum is swinging in the other direction.

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    it's not that they are getting shorter - it's just that they've gotten way longer over the past 15 years and now they are returning to being, well, shorts. somewhere along the way, board shorts (aka baggies) became went from being shorts to half-pants and now the pendulum is swinging in the other direction.
    History lesson for all:
    Board shorts (baggies) may have been short in warmer areas, like HI, etc; however, "baggies" were not suitable in colder waters, like California. Since wet suits were not as developed as they are now, California surfers were forced to paddle around on their knees. Unfortunately, this would take a toll on their knees - severe wax rash. Cali surfers would wear "pants" that were cut a few inches below the knee, in order to prevent wax rash.

This may have caused the "longer" cut shorts that most of us wore in the 90's and beyond. I am glad companies are bringing back shorter shorts to the surfing world. Long live the OPs.

You guys gotta get with the next trend already! Neon Speedos are in!

Quote Originally Posted by dlrouen View Post
    History lesson for all:
    Board shorts (baggies) may have been short in warmer areas, like HI, etc; however, "baggies" were not suitable in colder waters, like California. Since wet suits were not as developed as they are now, California surfers were forced to paddle around on their knees. Unfortunately, this would take a toll on their knees - severe wax rash. Cali surfers would wear "pants" that were cut a few inches below the knee, in order to prevent wax rash.

This may have caused the "longer" cut shorts that most of us wore in the 90's and beyond. I am glad companies are bringing back shorter shorts to the surfing world. Long live the OPs.

I could be wrong, but I disagree. I think board shorts just got longer as ALL sorts of shorts got longer in the 90's after Michael Jordan set the standard and started wearing longer shorts (check out pre 90's NBA films!) And I agree, the trend got ridiculous. Shorts past the knee are defeating the purpose (unless you're a CA surfer kneeling on your longboard). But I hope they keep making long ones. I have friggin' chicken legs and the longer shorts make me look so much less goofy.