LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1

    Mid-Atlantic vs. Northeast

    I met the ocean for the first time in August of last year when I moved down to the eastern shore of VA. I did not know my a#% from a hole in the sand but the ocean had a unique appeal. Knowing I was out of my element and some common surf culture stereotypes/stigmas, I took a humble and observant approach. I stayed away from other people knowing I had very little control in the water the 1st few times. Eventually the beach regulars started to help me out; some gave me used equipment others spent time coaching and surfing with me. I learned so much about the ocean and I got the bug! I still suck but I always learn and improve every time I go out. Anyway, I enjoy the forum even when the lack of waves creates a level of discourse similar to the social patterns of deranged hyenas on crystal meth. Anyway, I am moving to NH about an hour from the coast. I cannot find too much info on this region and would like some help. I know specifics are tough but as specific as you are willing to get would be great! General differences, culture, spots/breaks and equipment would be a start but I defer to those who know more so whatever you feel is important would be great!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Head on over to The Wall in Hampton Beach, NH. It is a popular surfing beach and there is a surf shop right there - Cinnamon Rainbows. That will get you started. Also check out Pioneers Surf Shop in the area.

  3. #3
    Yup, the Wall is a good spot. I was passing through NH last April and got fun waist high waves there to myself. Plenty of room to spread out and not be in someone's way. It's probably much different in summer though.

    in regards to equipment:

    http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/page...llsuits-hooded

  4. #4
    I have never surfed in the mid atlantic but do surf in MA/NH. I love it up here. From the sounds of the posts on the boards I would bet there are less crowds. Fall/Winter is awesome up here especially if you board or ski. You can pull a dawn patrol in the morning then head to the mountains for some shredding in the afternoon. Overall the vibe is awesome. There is some localism at a few spots in NH but that's expected and from the sounds of it you wouldn't be paddling out to those spots at this point anyways. Def check out Cinnamon Rainbows and pioneers. Both classy spots.

    Where are you from originally?

  5. #5
    North of the cape = More flat than the mid atlantic during summer(true..if you can believe that) You need a nor'easter for those points in NH to work. Totally blocked off from s windswell. Stock up on a ton of rubber and get another hobby from may to sept.

  6. #6
    I have a donated 4/3 wit a few holes that I used in VA for fall and winter? no boots, hoods, or gloves? I ski and climb, that should help! In VA surfing was it and that can be frustrating!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by nietzche1 View Post
    I have a donated 4/3 wit a few holes that I used in VA for fall and winter? no boots, hoods, or gloves? I ski and climb, that should help! In VA surfing was it and that can be frustrating!
    At least in VA, you can drive to the outer banks. Unless you're really into inconsistent BRUTAL FREEZING cold surfing conditions(ie Jan/Feb air temps in the teens or even single digits on dawn patrol, water temps near 30) and an unbearably flat summer, you're not going to see NH as better than where you are.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by nietzche1 View Post
    I have a donated 4/3 wit a few holes that I used in VA for fall and winter? no boots, hoods, or gloves? I ski and climb, that should help! In VA surfing was it and that can be frustrating!
    You are going to need a lot more than a 4/3 with holes for the winters up here. I have a 6/5/4 and 7mm boots, 5mm gloves. Usually wear a 3/2 all summer into fall but that is more of a comfort thing. You can trunk it if/when there are waves from July-Sept depending on the air temp I suppose.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pinelands, NJ
    Posts
    209
    Images
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    At least in VA, you can drive to the outer banks. Unless you're really into inconsistent BRUTAL FREEZING cold surfing conditions(ie Jan/Feb air temps in the teens or even single digits on dawn patrol, water temps near 30) and an unbearably flat summer, you're not going to see NH as better than where you are.
    I don't think this is true. When NH isn't working too well there's plenty of surf within a two hour drive to Cape Cod and RI that gets similar swell to Long Island. Also, there's the whole coast of Maine to explore

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by somuchsurf View Post
    You are going to need a lot more than a 4/3 with holes for the winters up here. I have a 6/5/4 and 7mm boots, 5mm gloves. Usually wear a 3/2 all summer into fall but that is more of a comfort thing. You can trunk it if/when there are waves from July-Sept depending on the air temp I suppose.
    Yeah it gets seriously cold up north. I took a spring break road trip up to maine and there was f*cking glaciers floating around in the break.

    In vb wetsuits you only need a decent 4/3, at least 5mm on the boots and gloves. Hood helps. Rarely is it sub 40, and if so, not for long.