LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 55
  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    salisbury
    Posts
    113
    Images
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    why not just surf right?
    OCMD bans surfing except at 2 overcrowded surf beaches between hrs of 10a-5:30p so standup bodyboarding is a way to get around the crowds and have fun standing up - i did it on regular bodyboards for years while i was growing up - this must be aimed at the beater boards since they already have a law against using boards with fixed fins

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    3,755
    Quote Originally Posted by brandx View Post
    OCMD bans surfing except at 2 overcrowded surf beaches between hrs of 10a-5:30p so standup bodyboarding is a way to get around the crowds and have fun standing up - i did it on regular bodyboards for years while i was growing up - this must be aimed at the beater boards since they already have a law against using boards with fixed fins
    Wow, I would move

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,067
    Quote Originally Posted by thetoeguy View Post
    When I saw the tag-line I thought they meant "OCMD bans stand up paddling"...I was ready to move down there!
    same!! SUPs in the line-up are straight up DANGEROUS!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    3,755
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    same!! SUPs in the line-up are straight up DANGEROUS!
    Stupid noobs who don't know surf ettiquette on SUP's in lineups are straight up DANDEROUS! Fixed...

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Rehoboth
    Posts
    268
    OC MD regulates "boogie" boards 3 1/2 feet, 2 feet wide and finless. The longer Catch Surf 54" Beaters exceeds the code which hasn't been an issue when riding prone, now with so many who are able to ride them as stand up's someone (unknown who) is seeking to regulate the the activity ..........................

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,067
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Stupid noobs who don't know surf ettiquette on SUP's in lineups are straight up DANDEROUS! Fixed...
    no, SUPs who bail their boards at the first sign of whitewater & let it go careening through the line-up are dangerous. too bad that's all of them.

    i've found that as long as you're a decent surfer, the lack of etiquette found in most SUPs isn't a big issue & can be dealt w/. the fact that they let loose a tanker in the line-up whenever they wipe out &/or bail their boards is the bigger problem & a massive safety issue. like the douchebag who wasn't wearing a leash & lost his barge 4 out of 4 waves i saw him "ride".
    SUPs don't belong in the line-up. end of discussion.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    3,755
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    no, SUPs who bail their boards at the first sign of whitewater & let it go careening through the line-up are dangerous. too bad that's all of them.

    i've found that as long as you're a decent surfer, the lack of etiquette found in most SUPs isn't a big issue & can be dealt w/. the fact that they let loose a tanker in the line-up whenever they wipe out &/or bail their boards is the bigger problem & a massive safety issue. like the douchebag who wasn't wearing a leash & lost his barge 4 out of 4 waves i saw him "ride".
    SUPs don't belong in the line-up. end of discussion.
    No, it's NOT the end of the discussion simply cause you say so, you and I can go round and round all day about this, but we've been down this road before. I'll keep it brief... I surf short, long, and SUP, and do them all with great care and dare I say moderate skill, so no NOT EVERYBODY with an SUP does what you are claiming, at least not where I surf. I frequent NSB / Ponce Inlet and am one of many guys who can and do surf an SUP very well. I'm not the best out there but i'm pretty solid and never put ANYBODY else at danger, which leads me to believe that the many others I see are also skilled on their craft. Now I will say when things get really crowded, i tend to go down the beach a bit to avoid any potential issues, but if it's not too crowded and everybody is spread out, there is never an issue......Don't believe me? "Meet me at my break bro...."

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wilmington
    Posts
    2,340
    I'm glad my area beaches aren't like that.

    Also, there are a couple people who SUP around here that are good. The rest are middle-aged yuppie wannabe's. But we've been over all this before....

  9. #19
    There always seem to be a couple SUPs at the break I surf most often, especially on smaller days, but I've never had a serious problem with them, in fact I've seen some surfed quite skilfully. I think they look kind of goofy and dislike that they can catch just about anything while I'm stuck paddling my brains out on a board that isn't the size of an aircraft carrier... but after seeing people catching and riding wave after wave on small days I've had to admit it at least looks like something to do to at least get out there. I think the real problem with SUPs are the middle aged yuppies who seem to have no understanding or respect for surfing or surf culture... they can get annoying and dangerous. I'd say that's only been about 1/3 of the ones I've seen though, maybe I'm lucky but I can't hate on every SUP boarder in general, just the ones that seem to have come straight from the LL Bean outlet. Anyways, this thread seems to have been hacked off topic... my condolences to OC, loosing rights on the beach is never cool.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    3,755
    Quote Originally Posted by endless_strummer View Post
    There always seem to be a couple SUPs at the break I surf most often, especially on smaller days, but I've never had a serious problem with them, in fact I've seen some surfed quite skilfully. I think they look kind of goofy and dislike that they can catch just about anything while I'm stuck paddling my brains out on a board that isn't the size of an aircraft carrier... but after seeing people catching and riding wave after wave on small days I've had to admit it at least looks like something to do to at least get out there. I think the real problem with SUPs are the middle aged yuppies who seem to have no understanding or respect for surfing or surf culture... they can get annoying and dangerous. I'd say that's only been about 1/3 of the ones I've seen though, maybe I'm lucky but I can't hate on every SUP boarder in general, just the ones that seem to have come straight from the LL Bean outlet. Anyways, this thread seems to have been hacked off topic... my condolences to OC, loosing rights on the beach is never cool.
    Couldn't have said it any better myself, thank you.