LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I can see why they would do this.. it's basically surfing, but you can go anywhere. At my beach, some people use them, and when they go in the swimmer area, the swimmers clear out because they don't want to get hit.

Also, who uses bodyboards larger than 42 inches on decent waves? Its usually easier on shorter, heavier boards to get more speed.

Images
    I don't really care about SUP riders too much, it's unskilled kiteboarders that scare the crap out of me. I was lifeguarding the other day and this kook couldn't control his board and was going full mach into the swimming area and came within about 2ft of a little kid. It's stuff like that, that pisses me off

Quote Originally Posted by lbsurfer View Post
    I don't really care about SUP riders too much, it's unskilled kiteboarders that scare the crap out of me. I was lifeguarding the other day and this kook couldn't control his board and was going full mach into the swimming area and came within about 2ft of a little kid. It's stuff like that, that pisses me off
    That would piss me off as well, I usually see at least one kiteboarder each time I hit the water but have never seen one do something as dangerous as that... usually they are pretty skilled with it, but there is always one or two that makes a bad name for the rest (that goes for all types of crafts)

4. in OCMD surfing is not allowed during the time of 9:45-5:30. So when we cant surf or there is no waves we do stand up and skim. and its not just targeting beaters, its all boards over 42'

Quote Originally Posted by jonmharrell View Post
    in OCMD surfing is not allowed during the time of 9:45-5:30. So when we cant surf or there is no waves we do stand up and skim. and its not just targeting beaters, its all boards over 42'
    Not being a jerk, but why would anybody want to go to a beach with such regulation? I would rather drive 3hrs each way to another spot that doesn't have the Gestapo watching your every move. Solution seems simple to me, don't go there...

Completely assinine. The only reason there is surfing blackballs is because surf boards are hard and can really hurt/knock someone out or cut someone with a fin. A beater board/stand up body board is made of foam and is harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Not being a jerk, but why would anybody want to go to a beach with such regulation? I would rather drive 3hrs each way to another spot that doesn't have the Gestapo watching your every move. Solution seems simple to me, don't go there...
    This regulation is typical for just about all Mid-Atlantic/NE beaches. It only applies to summer, which they keep extending in OCMD. When I was living there in the late '90s, the surfing beaches were in effect from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Now, I think it is from Mid May-Oct or something. Funny thing is, in nearly 20 years, they haven't expanded the surfing beach access at all.

The solution of not going there is not necessarily an option for some people (people who live/work there and don't have 6 hours to waste driving somewhere else). The only solution is to surf early or surf late if you want to avoid the crowds at the surfing beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by zrich View Post
    This regulation is typical for just about all Mid-Atlantic/NE beaches. It only applies to summer, which they keep extending in OCMD. When I was living there in the late '90s, the surfing beaches were in effect from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Now, I think it is from Mid May-Oct or something. Funny thing is, in nearly 20 years, they haven't expanded the surfing beach access at all.

The solution of not going there is not necessarily an option for some people (people who live/work there and don't have 6 hours to waste driving somewhere else). The only solution is to surf early or surf late if you want to avoid the crowds at the surfing beaches.
    Gotcha, so again I ask, why would you want to live there again? I'd move 1st chance I got If I were in a sh*t hole like that

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Gotcha, so again I ask, why would you want to live there again? I'd move 1st chance I got If I were in a sh*t hole like that
    Have you ever been to OCMD? It's not the nicest place on earth, but I certainly wouldn't classify it as a "sh*t hole." I don't live there any more, but my parents still do, and for 9 months out of the year, it's a great place to live. From June-Aug, it's a zoo. There are places nearby where surfing is not nearly as regulated during the summer, so if you have a clue, you can avoid dealing with the surfing beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by apbb View Post
    Also, who uses bodyboards larger than 42 inches on decent waves? Its usually easier on shorter, heavier boards to get more speed.
    I'm 6'4" 240lbs and a 42" board is like an Aussie for me.