LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fin Problem

same thing happened to me once. Well minus teaching the noobs because I don't owe them anything. I did something so simple, this a no brainer....

1. Loosen the set screw....
    2. acquire black drywall screw and cordless drill (on the LOW setting). Drywall screw is small and thin enough, with sharp enough threads, that it shouldn't cause the plastic to expand too much.
    3. Screw into the remaining piece of fin, only need to get a couple of threads into it
    4. Using any sort of pliers, grab that thing and start pulling directly out of the hole. Don't wiggle side to side because you can crush the white stuff that holds the fin plug in place (F*cking nightmare to replace that...)
    5. Install new fin
    6. tighten set screw...

Go finless, it's the new hotness haven't you heard?

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Go finless, it's the new hotness haven't you heard?
    Dude, you're on a roll with these trends. First the track pad, now FINLESS! What a hipster.

Quote Originally Posted by dlrouen View Post
    Dude, you're on a roll with these trends. First the track pad, now FINLESS! What a hipster.
    HAHA, track pad wasn't me, but i'll play along. I actually broke the center fin on my McTavish a couple weeks ago, took my board to work for an evening session of tropical storm Debbie, and forgot to take into account the clearance sign in the parking garage and i drove right on in and smacked it so hard it snapped the tip off, still surfs fine, but i'll be pick up a new fin shortly... and maybe even a track pad, depending on my mood.

HAHA, track pad wasn't me, but i'll play along. I actually broke the center fin on my McTavish a couple weeks ago, took my board to work for an evening session of tropical storm Debbie, and forgot to take into account the clearance sign in the parking garage and i drove right on in and smacked it so hard it snapped the tip off, still surfs fine, but i'll be pick up a new fin shortly... and maybe even a track pad, depending on my mood.
    That sucks. McTavish makes killer sticks. Let me know what fin you pick up - I am always looking for feedback on fins.

That sucks. McTavish makes killer sticks. Let me know what fin you pick up - I am always looking for feedback on fins.
    Ya it's a great board and catches everything, the fin i'm replacing is a simple Walden center fin, so i'm actually wondering what fin I should go with. Do i replace with the same fin, or should I try something completely different? Decisions, decisions...

Ya it's a great board and catches everything, the fin i'm replacing is a simple Walden center fin, so i'm actually wondering what fin I should go with. Do i replace with the same fin, or should I try something completely different? Decisions, decisions...
    I would replace it with something completely different. My favorite fin is the RFC Wingnut Sweep. The Sweep makes my 9'8" ride like an 8'6" - and a lot faster too. In larger waves , I break out the Greenough Stage 6. Dropping in is effortless and the chicks dig it. I would start with those two options before exploring.

I would replace it with something completely different. My favorite fin is the RFC Wingnut Sweep. The Sweep makes my 9'8" ride like an 8'6" - and a lot faster too. In larger waves , I break out the Greenough Stage 6. Dropping in is effortless and the chicks dig it. I would start with those two options before exploring.
    Good look, I will check those out, do you go single or thruster? My board is 8'1", I went a bit smaller cause I'm not tall and wanted more performance

Good look, I will check those out, do you go single or thruster? My board is 8'1", I went a bit smaller cause I'm not tall and wanted more performance
    9'8" & 9'6" are single fins and my 9'0" is a thruster. I use a 7" True Ames Flex fin in my 7'0" single fin egg. Check it out: http://trueames.com/shop/l-flex-fin I would use an 8" or the 8.5"

I would also check out the Greenough Stage-6 8" : http://trueames.com/shop/greenough-stage-6-fin This fin has a lot of flex / pop.

9'8" & 9'6" are single fins and my 9'0" is a thruster. I use a 7" True Ames Flex fin in my 7'0" single fin egg. Check it out: http://trueames.com/shop/l-flex-fin I would use an 8" or the 8.5"

I would also check out the Greenough Stage-6 8" : http://trueames.com/shop/greenough-stage-6-fin This fin has a lot of flex / pop.
    Thanks for the advise, there are just so many options available