LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    lol - seems like some of this can be attributed to pimple faced kids with undescended testicles who think they are be tough guys because their daddy owns a beach house

Images
    I HAVE A QUESTION:
    Are "summer pros" guys that surf year round and are actually good surfers?

I feel like it's a bunch of kookmeyers calling out "summer pros" as guys that surf, surf winter, surf barreling spitters alone in freezing water and are now stuck to surf tiny waves with a bunch of summer kooks, and YES do get a bit aggro (i'm guilty). Is that a "summer pro"?

or are "summer pros", the kooks with all the flashy gear that can't really surf and get in the way and follow you to every shifting peak?

Please advise.....thanks.

settle down

Food or thought: the national trend for surf related violence including intimidation has been probation including a ban from your break. So threaten some tourist in July and kiss the fall swells goodbye. Or just settle down.

Quote Originally Posted by LOSTsoul View Post
    I HAVE A QUESTION:
    Are "summer pros" guys that surf year round and are actually good surfers?

I feel like it's a bunch of kookmeyers calling out "summer pros" as guys that surf, surf winter, surf barreling spitters alone in freezing water and are now stuck to surf tiny waves with a bunch of summer kooks, and YES do get a bit aggro (i'm guilty). Is that a "summer pro"?

or are "summer pros", the kooks with all the flashy gear that can't really surf and get in the way and follow you to every shifting peak?

Please advise.....thanks.
    Sure is cold in the winter...even down here in NC.

I'm bumping this post for the dude who talked about "summer pros."

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LOSTsoul View Post
    yes

bro... im there with you- I put my time in with the empty cold peaks....i rather it be that way...

summer pros are the ones who only surf in the summer and think that they are the best surfers around.... and 3ft waves calls for a surf contest at the local spot. thats what I was defining anyways...
    Last edited by walkingonh2o; Jul 16, 2012 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop John B. View Post
    Uhh, no. It doesn't work like that. Right of way in the ocean, just as on the roads, is meant to prevent collision and injury. Your sense of entitlement based on your taxes doesn't translate to right of way rules that prevent collision . . .
    I hope you go back and read my actual response to your original quote; however, what I was trying to get at was the "summer pros" that has been redefined in the last few post. These people flock to the beach come summer and our rare summer bumps. They get in the way of the people who put in the time....and pay taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by dlrouen View Post
    I hope you go back and read my actual response to your original quote; however, what I was trying to get at was the "summer pros" that has been redefined in the last few post. These people flock to the beach come summer and our rare summer bumps. They get in the way of the people who put in the time....and pay taxes.
    Of course. I'm sure they do get in the way. But really if you're going to have a rule about respecting people and letting others have waves—like "don't drop in on someone" or "don't snake"—then surely that needs to apply to everyone otherwise you end up just making problems for yourself because then the understanding is that the rule doesn't actually exist.

I also dislike the categorization of everyone who mainly or only surfs in the summer is unfair. Most of my surfing happens during the summer now because I go to college in an inland state (and no it's not on one of the great lakes, either). I only get to go surfing when I'm home, so the majority of my surfing happens in summer, and I'm out there surfing most days, even when it's just riding ankle-slappers on the log.

I try to get out when I'm home for Spring Break, Fall Break, etc. and I usually get a few days during those that I can break away from family to have fun in the ocean, but I don't think that my decision to go to a school based on academics (I was assured a spot in medical school because of a program I was accepted to) and environment (small liberal arts college) makes me any less respectable as a surfer. I don't plan my academics around being able to go in the ocean year round, but I don't think that you should have to in order to not have assholes drop in on you and ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop John B. View Post
    Of course. I'm sure they do get in the way. But really if you're going to have a rule about respecting people and letting others have waves—like "don't drop in on someone" or "don't snake"—then surely that needs to apply to everyone otherwise you end up just making problems for yourself because then the understanding is that the rule doesn't actually exist.

I also dislike the categorization of everyone who mainly or only surfs in the summer is unfair. Most of my surfing happens during the summer now because I go to college in an inland state (and no it's not on one of the great lakes, either). I only get to go surfing when I'm home, so the majority of my surfing happens in summer, and I'm out there surfing most days, even when it's just riding ankle-slappers on the log.

I try to get out when I'm home for Spring Break, Fall Break, etc. and I usually get a few days during those that I can break away from family to have fun in the ocean, but I don't think that my decision to go to a school based on academics (I was assured a spot in medical school because of a program I was accepted to) and environment (small liberal arts college) makes me any less respectable as a surfer. I don't plan my academics around being able to go in the ocean year round, but I don't think that you should have to in order to not have assholes drop in on you and ****.
    No worries, Sloop. I completely understand your situation with college. No one said that going to school makes you "any less respectable as a surfer." I recently graduated from a landlocked, private, liberal arts college and I mostly surfed during breaks. Now, I have to balance surfing with 50 hour work weeks. I manage to surf almost every day, year around. I may dislike fresh faces, but I don't snake people that surf my break. If I go somewhere else, I give the locals the same respect that I would expect from new faces. I learned the hard way in Santa Monica a few years ago. Fresh faces get scrap waves.

Quote Originally Posted by KillaKiel View Post
    I own all breaks! I make $300,000 a year and live 8 hours from the beach. When locals talk to me in the line-up, I eat their babies and poop in my wetsuit
    I just poop in my wetsuit when guys get angry at one another..

haha, I've never really had an altercation that led to anything with anyone in the water...but I am excited and waiting till some sap tries to throw down 'cause they will have f'd with the wrong motherf*cker....maybe that's why I haven't had a problem.

...or it could be because I give respect where it's due and follow ettiquette (def misspelled and I don't give a sh*t) and am generally always nice to people...my guess, it's reason #2.
    Last edited by Koki Barrels; Jul 16, 2012 at 09:17 PM.