LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage boards

Vintage boards

I love vintage surfboards. They just do it for me. I'm a history buff. Man, I'm really thinking of snaggling at least one of these:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/spo/3142682239.html - R.P. #360

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/spo/3144314305.html - C.I. #5766

When you think about how many boards came after both of those it's a little mind boggling. I have way too many boards though.

Board Horder

I've been surfing for just over a year and I have 9 boards in a one bedroom condo... All are ridden except a 9 footer that I rescued from a trash heap and is now prominent wall art. Do I ride them all well? Hell no, I've been surfing for a year... I just love boards... It's an addiction.

Vintage boards are awesome, but it is hard finding one that is well preserved. Take care of your current boards for the collectors of tomorrow.

One of our local surfshops carries a wide variety of classic labels; it is tough walking in there without drooling over a fresh Hobie, Bing or Stewart. I am glad that these classic labels are so accessible. Bing for life.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    I love vintage surfboards. They just do it for me. I'm a history buff. Man,:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/spo/3144314305.html - C.I. #5766

When you think about how many boards came after both of those it's a little mind boggling. I have way too many boards though.
    I feel you Gaff. Im going to buy a Single fin within the next couple months. Want to try something new but old.I just love boards.I keep telling my wife,no really this is the last one.She doesn't believe me anymore.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodVibes View Post
    I feel you Gaff. Im going to buy a Single fin within the next couple months. Want to try something new but old.I just love boards.I keep telling my wife,no really this is the last one.She doesn't believe me anymore.
    you should check out some of josh kerr's single fin stuff. it's crazy considering he probably does the most progressive airs out of anyone right now, and can still rip on a vintage board

I like both boards, but I would take the CI over the RP. I would find a nice piece of wall for 5,766. It sucks that Al sold out to Burton. One of my friends used to shape for Al and he ultimately left CI when Burton took over - too radical of a change to hang.

Quote Originally Posted by ND081 View Post
    you should check out some of josh kerr's single fin stuff. it's crazy considering he probably does the most progressive airs out of anyone right now, and can still rip on a vintage board
    Kerr's single fin Rusty's are def not vintage except for the fact that they are single fins. There are many modern concaves, vee's, etc in those boards that were not even used in the 70's. They are still cool boards though. And yes I would love that CI. The new single fins they have made are sweet but nothing like a true classic. My first board was a mid 70's 7'2" Jim Ovelin single fin very similar to the CI.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarter View Post
    Kerr's single fin Rusty's are def not vintage except for the fact that they are single fins. There are many modern concaves, vee's, etc in those boards that were not even used in the 70's. They are still cool boards though. And yes I would love that CI. The new single fins they have made are sweet but nothing like a true classic. My first board was a mid 70's 7'2" Jim Ovelin single fin very similar to the CI.
    yeah i think the one he's riding right now is like 5'4" or something. they also don't really ride them the way they were meant to be ridden, but it's still different than what's going on right now which is cool

Quote Originally Posted by ND081 View Post
    yeah i think the one he's riding right now is like 5'4" or something. they also don't really ride them the way they were meant to be ridden, but it's still different than what's going on right now which is cool
    Agreed 100% I'm so glad the 90's are behind us and everyone is not riding the same pop out white bland shape. Not saying HP Shortboards don't have their place but variety is the spice of life.

Images
    I've never owned or ridden any vintage boards. Are they worth buying for riding? I feel like new shapes would just be better unless you really want to have an old school style.