LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Vintage boards

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Stayin' Classy in San Diego
    Posts
    1,882

    Vintage boards

    I love vintage surfboards. They just do it for me. I'm a history buff. Man, I'm really thinking of snaggling at least one of these:

    http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/spo/3142682239.html - R.P. #360

    http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/spo/3144314305.html - C.I. #5766

    When you think about how many boards came after both of those it's a little mind boggling. I have way too many boards though.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Carolina Beach
    Posts
    474

    Board Horder

    I've been surfing for just over a year and I have 9 boards in a one bedroom condo... All are ridden except a 9 footer that I rescued from a trash heap and is now prominent wall art. Do I ride them all well? Hell no, I've been surfing for a year... I just love boards... It's an addiction.

  3. #3
    Vintage boards are awesome, but it is hard finding one that is well preserved. Take care of your current boards for the collectors of tomorrow.

    One of our local surfshops carries a wide variety of classic labels; it is tough walking in there without drooling over a fresh Hobie, Bing or Stewart. I am glad that these classic labels are so accessible. Bing for life.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Monmouth County
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    I love vintage surfboards. They just do it for me. I'm a history buff. Man,:

    http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/spo/3144314305.html - C.I. #5766

    When you think about how many boards came after both of those it's a little mind boggling. I have way too many boards though.
    I feel you Gaff. Im going to buy a Single fin within the next couple months. Want to try something new but old.I just love boards.I keep telling my wife,no really this is the last one.She doesn't believe me anymore.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LBI
    Posts
    905
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodVibes View Post
    I feel you Gaff. Im going to buy a Single fin within the next couple months. Want to try something new but old.I just love boards.I keep telling my wife,no really this is the last one.She doesn't believe me anymore.
    you should check out some of josh kerr's single fin stuff. it's crazy considering he probably does the most progressive airs out of anyone right now, and can still rip on a vintage board

  6. #6
    I like both boards, but I would take the CI over the RP. I would find a nice piece of wall for 5,766. It sucks that Al sold out to Burton. One of my friends used to shape for Al and he ultimately left CI when Burton took over - too radical of a change to hang.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Your Mom's Vag
    Posts
    1,693
    Quote Originally Posted by ND081 View Post
    you should check out some of josh kerr's single fin stuff. it's crazy considering he probably does the most progressive airs out of anyone right now, and can still rip on a vintage board
    Kerr's single fin Rusty's are def not vintage except for the fact that they are single fins. There are many modern concaves, vee's, etc in those boards that were not even used in the 70's. They are still cool boards though. And yes I would love that CI. The new single fins they have made are sweet but nothing like a true classic. My first board was a mid 70's 7'2" Jim Ovelin single fin very similar to the CI.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LBI
    Posts
    905
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarter View Post
    Kerr's single fin Rusty's are def not vintage except for the fact that they are single fins. There are many modern concaves, vee's, etc in those boards that were not even used in the 70's. They are still cool boards though. And yes I would love that CI. The new single fins they have made are sweet but nothing like a true classic. My first board was a mid 70's 7'2" Jim Ovelin single fin very similar to the CI.
    yeah i think the one he's riding right now is like 5'4" or something. they also don't really ride them the way they were meant to be ridden, but it's still different than what's going on right now which is cool

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Your Mom's Vag
    Posts
    1,693
    Quote Originally Posted by ND081 View Post
    yeah i think the one he's riding right now is like 5'4" or something. they also don't really ride them the way they were meant to be ridden, but it's still different than what's going on right now which is cool
    Agreed 100% I'm so glad the 90's are behind us and everyone is not riding the same pop out white bland shape. Not saying HP Shortboards don't have their place but variety is the spice of life.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    VA BEACH
    Posts
    1,348
    Images
    23
    I've never owned or ridden any vintage boards. Are they worth buying for riding? I feel like new shapes would just be better unless you really want to have an old school style.