LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    Ok.... dbag takes wave, I move into the inside spot off the rocks... a bit of a wave lull and dbag has time to paddle right back to the spot where I am, current is moving people off the prime spot, now dbag has paddle his ass off to get the inside spot, eventhough you are paddling to maintain this spot.... wave comes and its now a paddle battle for who is getting it... lineup etiquette has been disregaurded... no?
    good question
    i think thats your wave to miss and he shouldn't even try for it.
    Last edited by Peajay4060; Jul 18, 2012 at 05:25 PM. Reason: didn't read the whole post i was replying to

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay4060 View Post
    good question,
    if i caught i wave and paddled back to the take off to find no one is in postion to go and a set is coming right at me, i think im going. why let the wave go unridden?
    sure no problems there, but I never said Im off the spot... I've maintained my spot and am ready to go only to have this dbag paddle his ass right up next to me, either inside or out side of me and is aggro going for wave... not too mention the numerous people sitting in the conveyor line...

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    I'm not getting how lack of etiquette has anything to do with paddle battles?
    I think this is a good and valid point. Not every time, as in someone's position in the line-up is clearly better situated for a set wave, then paddling accross where they are sitting and jockeying for a superior position would be rude. This behavior bugs me and is why I prefer to surf in a line-up crowded with people I know, we don't do this to each other. The person who is inside when the wave is breaking has the right of way, right? I think that this has been established, in another thread sometime ; ) .

However, here's a hypothetical situation. Two guys are both inside of the break and a wave pops up on the outside. They both start paddling towards it. Both where in equidistant postions away from where the wave will begin breaking and the wave will curl over perfectly in the middle and break equally well right or left giving both riders their choice of going in either direction. The polite thing to do would be for both to call "RIGHT" and "LEFT" and stick to it, but that's not necessary, just curteous. In my personal experience, most surfers become rather taciturn in the water, so that rarely happens. My thought is, at that point the faster paddler gets to the wave first, they get the choice of which way they want to go, if it happens to be the direction that the other surfer wanted to, well them's the breaks. Right? Sometimes a paddle battle is just the way it works out.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Jul 18, 2012 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    sure no problems there, but I never said Im off the spot... I've maintained my spot and am ready to go only to have this dbag paddle his ass right up next to me, either inside or out side of me and is aggro going for wave... not too mention the numerous people sitting in the conveyor line...

re read my post. i edited. i didn't catch that you were in postion. thats your wave and he shouldn't even try. if the other guys are in no way to get the next wave and did then i think i'd go. i do like taking a break after i paddle back out. but im getting old

mmmm, good one. my take on it is: it depends on how the dbag paddles back out. if he paddles out at the far end of the lineup then outside of everybody id say he is legit. probably overly aggressive but legit, then it become the lineups duty to out-postion him. some people say he should get in line an wait his turn but if he goes all the way around to the outside, its not his fault the rest of the line up is not as well-conditioned. Now, if he paddles to the inside of everybody then that is the real dbag move.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    mmmm, good one. my take on it is: it depends on how the dbag paddles back out. if he paddles out at the far end of the lineup then outside of everybody id say he is legit. probably overly aggressive but legit, then it become the lineups duty to out-postion him. some people say he should get in line an wait his turn but if he goes all the way around to the outside, its not his fault the rest of the line up is not as well-conditioned. Now, if he paddles to the inside of everybody then that is the real dbag move.
    he walks along the beach to the OTHER side of the rock jetti and then paddles over the rocks to now be on the inside.... I want to kick the sh..i..t out of this dbag but he's got like 10 buddies sitting on beach.... that is the only think keeping me from getting outright in his face... so I the lineup gets krapped on everytime this guy is out...

oh yea.. just one more issue of contention... no friggin leash on a crowded shoreline... I mean its just mind boggling.
    Last edited by MFitz73; Jul 18, 2012 at 05:49 PM.

here's an old trick.. everybody take turns parking in front of him so he cant catch a thing. he'll get the point.

what you said though illustrates my point. If the lineup doesn't band together to enforce things, he will keep doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    I think this is a good and valid point. Not every time, as in someone's position in the line-up is clearly better situated for a set wave, then paddling accross where they are sitting and jockeying for a superior position would be rude. This behavior bugs me and is why I prefer to surf in a line-up crowded with people I know, we don't do this to each other. The person who is inside when the wave is breaking has the right of way, right? I think that this has been established, in another thread sometime ; ) .

However, here's a hypothetical situation. Two guys are both inside of the break and a wave pops up on the outside. They both start paddling towards it. Both where in equidistant postions away from where the wave will begin breaking and the wave will curl over perfectly in the middle and break equally well right or left giving both riders their choice of going in either direction. The polite thing to do would be for both to call "RIGHT" and "LEFT" and stick to it, but that's not necessary, just curteous. In my personal experience, most surfers become rather taciturn in the water, so that rarely happens. My thought is, at that point the faster paddler gets to the wave first, they get the choice of which way they want to go, if it happens to be the direction that the other surfer wanted to, well them's the breaks. Right? Sometimes a paddle battle is just the way it works out.
    right. thats just how it is. sometimes the right 2 guys will laugh it off after. i been in that situation and losing the battle in which i will yell" i think there a bigger one behind it". its never worked

I have surfed all over this globe and some of the worst stink eye and sh*ttiest attitudes in the water have been in Virginia beach and the outer banks. Somebody pulled a machete on my friend in Nicaragua, but that's different, they thought he stole some pigs or something...

Images
    Man oh man do those Central Americans love their machetes.