LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A story of awesomeness

I have never wanted a Go Pro Camera until this moment....

Second session of the day... hiding in plain sight... while the masses scrap at Poles... splitting the peak with another surfer of fun waist high waves under the mid-day sun with a slight offshore breeze. One of those kinda days where you and your board melt together in synchronicity to form a wave slaying machine. Awesome. The local sea life was out in abundance catching a mid day snack. A sea turtle here, a tarpon there, and of course at Mayport, a pod of dolphins. Set wave comes. Other surfer looks at me "right or left?" "I'll go right" I respond despite the better quality of the lefts, I had been hogging the last few so he was due. We both take off on the outside, he left, and I, right. Just inside of me I can see two small dolphin. As I highline the wave and drop down the face building speed to match that of the wall in front of me the two dolphins likewise start highlining it cruising just below the surface; riding the wave. Cool. I've ridden waves with dolphins before. As we ride down the line I'm kick stalling my retro twin managing my speed so I don't get too close. I respect nature and wild animals and all that. One dolphin peels off and other straightens out putting us about five feet from on another causing me to do the same as the wave slows down. The Dolphin's head broke the surface. Here we were, two wave riders of different species seemingly eyeball to eyeball; me spellbound as the dolphin peered deep inside my soul.
    And then it happened...

He winked at me, submerged and peeled off the back as I rode the mush the remaining few feet. Holy crap! Did that really just happen? That's gotta be like good luck or something. Wait do Dolphins even blink? Once in a lifetime video op... couldn't be any more perfect setting.

Sadly my internet research says no. Dolphins don't blink or wink, rather they just change the shape of their eyes to match conditions. Dumb. I'd like to have video to check cuz it looked like a head nod and a wink to me as if to say "fun waves, good ride yeah?"

Quote Originally Posted by Stranded in Smithfield View Post

Second session of the day... hiding in plain sight... while the masses scrap at Poles... splitting the peak with another surfer of fun waist high waves under the mid-day sun with a slight offshore breeze. One of those kinda days where you and your board melt together in synchronicity to form a wave slaying machine. Awesome. The local sea life was out in abundance catching a mid day snack. A sea turtle here, a tarpon there, and of course at Mayport, a pod of dolphins. Set wave comes. Other surfer looks at me "right or left?" "I'll go right" I respond despite the better quality of the lefts, I had been hogging the last few so he was due. We both take off on the outside, he left, and I, right. Just inside of me I can see two small dolphin. As I highline the wave and drop down the face building speed to match that of the wall in front of me the two dolphins likewise start highlining it cruising just below the surface; riding the wave. Cool. I've ridden waves with dolphins before. As we ride down the line I'm kick stalling my retro twin managing my speed so I don't get too close. I respect nature and wild animals and all that. One dolphin peels off and other straightens out putting us about five feet from on another causing me to do the same as the wave slows down. The Dolphin's head broke the surface. Here we were, two wave riders of different species seemingly eyeball to eyeball; me spellbound as the dolphin peered deep inside my soul.
    And then it happened...

He winked at me, submerged and peeled off the back as I rode the mush the remaining few feet. Holy crap! Did that really just happen? That's gotta be like good luck or something. Wait do Dolphins even blink? Once in a lifetime video op... couldn't be any more perfect setting.

Sadly my internet research says no. Dolphins don't blink or wink, rather they just change the shape of their eyes to match conditions. Dumb. I'd like to have video to check cuz it looked like a head nod and a wink to me as if to say "fun waves, good ride yeah?"
    F'ing magical right there my friend

And then it happened...

Rad story man. Forget your research - that dolphin winked at you. With all the recent thoughts on "localism" and who truly "has the wave;" that dolphin was probably trying to say "this is your wave, man."

...........Surfer Poet.

or he could have been giving you a squinty stink eye! Ha Ha!

Images
    maybe he knows something we dont...

but really that story was amazing thanks for sharing. dolphins are just awesome. i was fishing on the gulf side of florida this year, and a pod showed up by our boat. the captain started the engine and right away they jumped into our wake. they rode with us for like 10 minutes straight
    Last edited by ND081; Jul 17, 2012 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiaora View Post
    or he could have been giving you a squinty stink eye! Ha Ha!
    I'm bumping this for Sloop J B - no hard feelings man.

Awesome theory kiaora.

^haha...dang... stink eye... maybe dolphins look at us with surfboards the way we look at those with foamies...board kook!

Images
    ^haha...dang... stink eye... maybe dolphins look at us with surfboards the way we look at those with foamies...board kook!
    Haha like some surfers say body boarders need to learn to stand up. He was all "learn how to swim kook!"

Images
    double post.