• Butterfly

3 5.08%
  • Sidestroke

5 8.47%
  • Other

5 8.47%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ocean swimming techniques

A few weeks ago I watched the recent Olympic trials for swimming, and I thought it would be a good idea to get everyone's opinions on what they feel is the most efficient swimming style in an ocean with some swell.

There are probably a few lurkers on here who do triathlons, and I honestly don't have a lot of experience swimming in the ocean other than on small days or when I go longboarding leashless and have to swim after the board every once in a while.

I always swam freestyle whenever I lose my board in the surf because that's really all I know. I've read on other site where breaststroke is actually a preferred way to swim, even though you're slow, in big surf when you lose your board since your head is above the water and you can see in front of you.

I did a triathlon for the first time this year so I am no expert, but I used the freestyle stroke for most of it, occasional breast stroke so I could keep myself on track. Open water swimming gets addicting, I have been out of the water for a bit, and can't wait to get back in. Freestyle is what I had read to be most efficient swim stroke. Do a Google search you will return more information than you can sort through.

I've always just used freestyle. I remember 30 odd years ago when I started swimming on swim teams, that it was originally introduced to me as the Australian Crawl. I wonder where it got that name? I find it effective. Easy stroke, efficient and I can lift my head out of the water for a good look around with out breaking my rhythm.

All valid points. I've been open-ocean swimming for decades and I find that keeping your rhythm doing freestyle is not only the most efficient, but the most relaxing. However, when doing open-ocean swimming, you have to figure out the best way to keep your bearings with minimal slow down and minimal disruption of your breathing and stroke rhythm. To do this I switch to breast stroke for a few strokes and then switch back to freestyle.

Butterfly stroke!

Isnt' streamlined dolphin kick the fastest a human can move through water? It's not on your list. Notice in competitive swimming they have restrictions on how far they can do it before they have to come up and start stroking.. otherwise they'd go the entire length underwater.
    so just quit breathing and you'll go fast.

Images
    doggy paddle...

Quote Originally Posted by parippa View Post
    Isnt' streamlined dolphin kick the fastest a human can move through water? It's not on your list. Notice in competitive swimming they have restrictions on how far they can do it before they have to come up and start stroking.. otherwise they'd go the entire length underwater.
    But whenever they do that, they're usually pushing off something, and that's where they're momentum comes from. Can't really do that out in the ocean.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by parippa View Post
    the dolphin kick is the fastest, but only to a certain point, as it is not hydrodynamic to maintain it past a certain distance. once you lose a lot of your momentum, it becomes easier and faster to just swim a regular freestyle stroke. it also isn't very practical in open water swimming since you have nothing to push off of and it drains energy faster.

and as for swimming in big surf, freestyle is obviously the fastest, but breast stroke is really the ideal stroke because you can see where you're going, and if you're about to take one on the head. you're aware of your surroundings and position which is crucial in big waves, and you have more control. i wouldn't recommend trying to swim freestyle in bigger waves unless you really need to get your @ss into the channel or out of the way of another surfer.

Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    But whenever they do that, they're usually pushing off something, and that's where they're momentum comes from. Can't really do that out in the ocean.
    The Man from Atlantis did. Gotta love 70's TV!