LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surf Colleges

Surf Colleges

Ok, I'm sure there's another thread like this on here but I couldn't find the answers I'm looking for, and everyone circumstance is different.

So anyway, I'm trying to find the best colleges that maintain a good balance of wave quality, and academic quality. My grades are probably average, so right now University of Hawaii on Honolulu looks like the best choice for me judging by the average GPA. I would however like to look at a broader spectrum of schools.

I'd like more information on University of Hawaii, UNCW, University of California Santa Cruz, and San Diego State if anyone on here has experience with any of those schools. I read about a bunch on here http://www.surfermag.com/features/top-10-surf-colleges/ but is that really correct?

I was also wondering if there are any good 'surf' schools in Alaska or Washington State. I would definitely be interested in spending some time in both places, but I don't know anything about the wave quality and consistency in either places or if there are any schools situated in a reasonable proximity of good surf.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by surf05; Jul 19, 2012 at 03:09 AM.

Two of my sons went to Point Loma Nazarene University in San Diego and really enjoyed the school and surfed almost every day. There are several breaks in front of the school, at least six, that are incredible. Academically the school is challenging and it has a great reputation if you desire to go to graduate school. Both of our sons only applied to Point Loma cause once you see it you will not want to consider another college. Tuition is reasonable and the other surf spots are within striking distance or day trips as well. Young Hall was voted number 1 freshman dorm in the country for surfers when our middle son went there. It is a Christian college and the waves are only surpassed by the attractive girls on campus. We had a B or better rule that both met easily so there is plenty of time to improve your surfing to the next several levels.

Quote Originally Posted by swale100 View Post
    Two of my sons went to Point Loma Nazarene University in San Diego and really enjoyed the school and surfed almost every day. There are several breaks in front of the school, at least six, that are incredible. Academically the school is challenging and it has a great reputation if you desire to go to graduate school. Both of our sons only applied to Point Loma cause once you see it you will not want to consider another college. Tuition is reasonable and the other surf spots are within striking distance or day trips as well. Young Hall was voted number 1 freshman dorm in the country for surfers when our middle son went there. It is a Christian college and the waves are only surpassed by the attractive girls on campus. We had a B or better rule that both met easily so there is plenty of time to improve your surfing to the next several levels.
    awesome, thanks for the info. i was looking at point loma before but i got turned off by the fact that it is described as a very "strict" school. idk if this is good or bad for me because i don't drink, but there's a rule that says you must live on campus without a car your first year? other than that it sounds like it could be one of my top schools.

internationally you should check out bond. life should = adventure.

http://www.bond.edu.au/student-life/...alia/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by cresto4 View Post
    internationally you should check out bond. life should = adventure.

http://www.bond.edu.au/student-life/...alia/index.htm
    never thought about australia lol now i'm thinking that might be a good idea too. do you have any experience there?

I am currently attending the University of Hawaii at Manoa this fall 2012 semester as an incoming freshman. Im an 18 year old surf addict from Long Island, New York and believe me, I am 100% stoked on this school choice. I figured focusing on school and surfing was the best way to go. Schools in California are very hard to get into, especially for out of staters. I applied to San Diego State and didn't get in. If you have average grades, You will have no problem getting in to UH Manoa since they want more out of state students. UH Manoa is an excellent school academically speaking offering over 200 degrees in Bachelor's, Master's, and Doctoral major fields. Not to mention the North Shores a 45 minute car ride away from the campus....you cant beat it dude. Its the perfect place to go to college if surfing is a priority for you. Ill post UH Manoa's website below, it's got a lot of info you'll need if your considering this school. Hope I helped and maybe ill see you out there!

http://manoa.hawaii.edu/

I live in Wilmington and UNCW is cool and all, but there is something different about California. I would advise checking out the left coast a little bit more. I made the mistake by staying on the east coast and regretted it after my freshman year - I spent my whole sophomore year trying to transfer to University of Southern California. California is way more than waves.

Man, is it already time for my annual UNCW rant!? Nah.... I'll let it slide for a couple more weeks and just leave it short and sweet: DON'T COME DOWN HERE!!!! Plus, you will never get in with just average grades.

If you didn't excel in HS you should look at doing your first two years at a community college then matriculating into a university. That way you don't waste mommy and daddy's money in your freshman year's existential quest of "finding yourself" and continuing the goofing off that kept your GPA in mediocrity in HS.

Or, since it sounds like your parents are loaded and ready to shell out the cash for an expensive out of state tuition, just go to NYU--they only care about your money and a degree with them still carries prestige even though it is widely known as a complete sham.

I just noticed that you were "considering" Alaskan schools. The Denali area has a lot of really cool spots, including Yakutat Beach - my favorite, when it is not quadruple overhead. Make sure to take AK's "light" situation into consideration. Also, I would go to UA Anchorage over UA Fairbanks, simply because Fairbanks is straight ghetto.

Have you decided on what you will try to major in?