LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63

Thread: Gsi $$$?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    2,838
    Quote Originally Posted by ND081 View Post
    are their poly's just china boards now and that's why they're so cheap?
    yup...pretty much have been for the last 5 years or so.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wilmington
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by ND081 View Post
    does anyone know where you can order a coil? i'm not really looking to put that much money into a board right now, but they've definitely caught my attention. also, speaking of board prices, has anyone else noticed how incredibly cheap JC boards are now? someone told me that they're trying to get their customers back because they lost so many when they started making all of their boards with surftech. are their poly's just china boards now and that's why they're so cheap?
    Just go to their website. Their prices INCLUDE shipping. You can also find some of their stock boards in some shops.

    fl.surfdog: Coil uses patented glass technology. That means they get their glass custom made with varying weaves depending on its placement on the board. Their hybrid carbon technology is also patented and custom made just for them. (Hint: they are located on the SPACE COAST, they live in an area saturated by engineers, material scientists and chemists and their technology reflects their close interactions and cooperation with these people). So, you may get a custom board shaped cheaper from someone ordering supplies from Greenlight, but you will never get a custom board that is full of space-aged proprietary technology and made with custom designed products from that guy. But, like I said--if you are going for retro fishes, fun shapes and pig boards, you will want to look somewhere different than Coil.
    I have three Coils that are all custom. I have never had a shaper dial in boards as specifically as Mike nor have I had boards that ride and respond as well as a Coil. Just my $.02, sorry for the indignation but apple and orange comparisons need to be put into perspective.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Monmouth Beach, NJ
    Posts
    2,317
    Any product is worth what the market will bear. In other words, the consumer decides how to spend their money, and if they choose to buy crap, that's what they get. And the guy who builds and sells crap will charge as much as he can and still sell his crap boards. At the other end of the continuum, if somebody's building space age boards worth double what the crap boards sell for, but nobody will buy them at that price, he's not going to sell many boards. He's got to lower his price to the maximum the buyer is willing to spend. It's called free market competition.

    My point is that this really isn't about boards, it's about buyers... how much they are willing to spend, their level of knowledge of surfboard design and construction, how much attention they pay to marketing and advertising, and where their interests lie - who they choose to support with their consumer dollars and why.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Any product is worth what the market will bear. In other words, the consumer decides how to spend their money, and if they choose to buy crap, that's what they get. And the guy who builds and sells crap will charge as much as he can and still sell his crap boards. At the other end of the continuum, if somebody's building space age boards worth double what the crap boards sell for, but nobody will buy them at that price, he's not going to sell many boards. He's got to lower his price to the maximum the buyer is willing to spend. It's called free market competition.

    My point is that this really isn't about boards, it's about buyers... how much they are willing to spend, their level of knowledge of surfboard design and construction, how much attention they pay to marketing and advertising, and where their interests lie - who they choose to support with their consumer dollars and why.
    well herin lies the problem or the percieved problem. most surfers are not the hardcore surfers you might be. so the gsi boards more then suit thier needs. and there are many more of the casual surfing consumer then the hardcore surfer that gets custom boards built.... on top of that... many of the boards from gsi perform fairly well..... for the casual surfer....

  5. #25
    Ordered a custom shaped coil in May, 6' x 18 1/2" x 2 1/4" Blur
    Mike from Coil was extremely helpful, we sent several lengthy emails back and forth, from everything about dimensions to concaves to fin setups. Very excited to get the board before hurricane season.
    Only downside is that wait, Coils are definitely getting very popular, the wait right now for a custom is 10 -12 weeks.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LBI
    Posts
    905
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    yup...pretty much have been for the last 5 years or so.
    are you sure it's their standard polys too though? i know they have a bunch of those "technologically advanced" boards that are all just made by surftech but their polys looked pretty nice and i found them in a shop that typically doesn't carry popouts. glass looked a little thin though

  7. #27
    I've been working in a surf shop part time for over 5 years and seen a bunch of invoices. Surfboard markup is next to nothing especially considering storage costs (opportunity cost) and everyone wanting a deal. If you price GSI boards at the same price as good hand shaped in america boards they do have more markup... but they aren't worth that so shouldn't be priced that high.

    Coils are hand shaped in America and are a great deal.
    Last edited by Kyle Collins; Jul 23, 2012 at 06:20 PM.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Collins View Post
    I've been working in a surf shop part time for over 5 years and seen a bunch of invoices. Surfboard markup is next to nothing especially considering storage costs (opportunity cost) and everyone wanting a deal.
    Typically, surf shop's make less than $100 on selling a board. They make their money on accessories and clothing.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    anywhere there is surf
    Posts
    484
    Images
    1
    This is a link i found, and i wish i knew how to make it an active link, anyway let me try to explain, Tiantai Magnate Trading Company who is making surfboards and selling to Rusty Company, their (Rusty) carbon fiber surfboard, the surfboard sells for $110.00 ea., but Rusty has to have a contract order for a min. of 250 boards... with that said, im sure its nothing for the Rusty Company to sell 250 surfboards in no time worldwide (its just an educated guess, i dont know that for a fact), and i assume, when the products reach the surfshops, big buisness has already marked them up, so the boards are already at top price, and the surfshops get minimum profit, so who's making the money, the big surfboard companies that has a contract to buy from China, Thailand ect., there, my Homework is done...lol...if you look up just Alibaba.com and search for surfboards you would be amazed on how many companies are making surfboards

    http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/46...Surfboard.html
    Tiantai Magnate Trading Co., Ltd.
    FOB Price: US $ 110 - 250 / Piece
    Get Latest Price
    Port:Ningbo/ Shanghai
    Minimum Order Quantity:20 Piece/Pieces
    Supply Ability:800 Piece/Pieces per Month
    Payment Terms:T/T

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Berlin MD
    Posts
    426
    That website is hilarious. The board construction is "fiberglass" and the "carbon" is called the "artwork"

    Junk mascarading as a surfboard.