LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 63

Thread: Gsi $$$?

  1. Everything is all relative to what you are looking to purchase. I would be curious to see what the lifetime cost of owning various types of surfboards is, just like you are able to do with vehicles. For instance although the initial cost for a board maybe low (GSI), the amount of money spent over the boards lifetime in ding repair could outweigh the low purchase cost. I would say a little more than half the ding repair i get is from overseas boards and most of the time the repair is much more extensive.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    Typically, surf shop's make less than $100 on selling a board. They make their money on accessories and clothing.
    that's his point.

    ND081: yep, even the polys are chinese. it's sad.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,451
    Quote Originally Posted by fl.surfdog View Post
    This is a link i found, and i wish i knew how to make it an active link, anyway let me try to explain, Tiantai Magnate Trading Company who is making surfboards and selling to Rusty Company, their (Rusty) carbon fiber surfboard, the surfboard sells for $110.00 ea., but Rusty has to have a contract order for a min. of 250 boards... with that said, im sure its nothing for the Rusty Company to sell 250 surfboards in no time worldwide (its just an educated guess, i dont know that for a fact), and i assume, when the products reach the surfshops, big buisness has already marked them up, so the boards are already at top price, and the surfshops get minimum profit, so who's making the money, the big surfboard companies that has a contract to buy from China, Thailand ect., there, my Homework is done...lol...if you look up just Alibaba.com and search for surfboards you would be amazed on how many companies are making surfboards

    http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/46...Surfboard.html
    Tiantai Magnate Trading Co., Ltd.
    FOB Price: US $ 110 - 250 / Piece
    Get Latest Price
    Port:Ningbo/ Shanghai
    Minimum Order Quantity:20 Piece/Pieces
    Supply Ability:800 Piece/Pieces per Month
    Payment Terms:T/T
    that's for a board w/ an eps core wrapped in carbon...which is probably of dubious quality. it's also produced overseas where, as previously noted, production coasts are significantly lower. you're still comparing apples to oranges.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    anywhere there is surf
    Posts
    687
    Images
    2
    Im talking about every company gsi, rusty, jc ect. that has boards made overseas, im not talking domestic made boards here, we agree. im just stating the money being made by these companies that go overseas and have their boards made. Thats all.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Monmouth Beach, NJ
    Posts
    2,553
    Quote Originally Posted by mgarbutt View Post
    Everything is all relative to what you are looking to purchase. I would be curious to see what the lifetime cost of owning various types of surfboards is, just like you are able to do with vehicles.
    One of the main reasons why all of my personal boards except my logs and my guns are high quality pressure molded EPS, made in the USA, the highest quality surfboard specific epoxy available, also made in the USA, and the best surfboard specific fiberglass in the world, also made in the USA. Manufactured under the highest construction standards, I might add, also AMERICAN. It costs me a bit more, but I'd be going through boards like sh!t through a seagull if I was buying Chinese junk.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,451
    Quote Originally Posted by fl.surfdog View Post
    Im talking about every company gsi, rusty, jc ect. that has boards made overseas, im not talking domestic made boards here, we agree. im just stating the money being made by these companies that go overseas and have their boards made. Thats all.
    we all know that boards made overseas are more cheaply made, so what's your point?

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by fl.surfdog View Post
    do you know how many handcrafted customs i could buy for $2800, not saying that coil is a bad board, just expensive
    Considering most boards last a season or two and cost $500+ A Coil will last many years. I have two myself.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LBI
    Posts
    905
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    ND081: yep, even the polys are chinese. it's sad.
    wow that sucks. i thought i was about to score a quality board at an extremely low price. none of their poly boards cost more than $395 now and i guess that explains it.

    i've been trying to figure out who makes their boards but i can't find anything. in an interview i read however, he claims that most of their board production remains in the US... also they aren't listed on the surftech website anymore
    Last edited by ND081; Jul 25, 2012 at 03:56 AM.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,451
    Quote Originally Posted by ND081 View Post
    wow that sucks. i thought i was about to score a quality board at an extremely low price. none of their poly boards cost more than $395 now and i guess that explains it.

    i've been trying to figure out who makes their boards but i can't find anything. in an interview i read however, he claims that most of their board production remains in the US...
    $395?!? no way they are domestically produced! the cost to get them shipped to the mainland from hawaii alone would bump them up over $400, even w/out factoring in retail mark ups.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LBI
    Posts
    905
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    $395?!? no way they are domestically produced! the cost to get them shipped to the mainland from hawaii alone would bump them up over $400, even w/out factoring in retail mark ups.
    after asking why they were so cheap someone in the shop told me JC is trying to get the customers back that they lost after moving over to surftech. it would make sense considering they aren't listed on the surftech or gsi sites anymore, and john carper says they're trying to focus on customs and US production more now. i dont know if any of this is actually true because i don't work in a shop like you do, but that's what the internet and a salesperson told me haha.