LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If you're gonna teach your kid

Don't do it right in the center, inside of the take off peak where 10 other surfers are fighting for priority. In the setting sun. Or right by the jetty.

It's Summer. I get it, we all get jammed into the "surfing" beach.

But am I the only one with enough sense to teach my kid down at the end of the line?

Quote Originally Posted by Gfootr View Post
    Don't do it right in the center, inside of the take off peak where 10 other surfers are fighting for priority. In the setting sun. Or right by the jetty.

It's Summer. I get it, we all get jammed into the "surfing" beach.

But am I the only one with enough sense to teach my kid down at the end of the line?
    You can't control the actions of others. If you notice it, so have others. Equally, others have noticed your choice in "teaching" spots.

Keep setting the example.

personally I would never take my kid to a surf beach. find a quiet spot after hours or in the morning.

Surf or die!!

Haha, do you live in VB? I hear pooping in the water can clear a peak. Perhaps the solution is a large lunch with lots of fiber!

I get the feeling that those people think that just because they are teaching their kid, they should be untouchable and should be able to break all rules of etiquette. I love seeing parents teaching their kids how to surf, but in a crowded main peak, I agree w/ you that its just rude and obnoxious.

Try and do that at a packed spot like Lowers or something... that should be a good father/son(daughter) bonding moment.

Had this happen in Beach Haven last week when myself and 2 buddies were the only ones in the water. A guy and his young daughter paddled out directly where we were and proceeded to sit on the inside for their lesson. If he really wants to test my slalom surfing and/or bowling abilities, then so be it.

There are tons of surfers here, this must be a great place to learn!!

urgh! I had a dude giving, what I assume were paid for lessons (judging by the matching soft tops and on the beach warm ups), do this sorta the same thing. First they paddle to the peak, well he paddles and she flails, then he swims her out and pushes the chick into waves. Granted this is NOT at a "known" surfing break per say but a fun sandbar in plan sight of other sandbars on Jax beach and not a place where daily lessons occur. Literally no one for 150 yards on either side of me, the sole person on this peak. I buzzed or sprayed them on a few waves and when that didn't work I told them that I wasn't from here but where I am from what they were doing was rude. Dude said something about how he rips harder than I do and me being an A-hole but they drifted on down to the next peak... Sometimes ya just gotta tell people about themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by KillaKiel View Post
    Haha, do you live in VB? I hear pooping in the water can clear a peak. Perhaps the solution is a large lunch with lots of fiber!
    I'm bumping this for creativity.

The next time I talk to one of my VB friends: "Dude, I hear people sh!t in your water..."