LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Images

Why should bennies go home?

Ahhhh, a peaceful dawn patrol at 530 am. As I cruise up the steps over the dune I see all this trash in the walkway and in the dunes. The level of disrespect goes beyond the township and is a shameful stab at the Earth itself. I long for the day that people worldwide understand that they're biting the hand that feeds them and stop doing it
    trash1.jpgtrash.jpgtrash2.jpg
    Bennie - summer kooks and renters that are oblivious and dueshy.
    We call them bennies in NJ but I'm sure you guys have different names for them where you live if not NJ.

Bennies should go home because that's where they live. They should come here, mind their manners, spend their money, fall in love with the place, go home and dream about it for the next ten months.

Then come back next year and do it all over again.

As long as they keep bringing their money season after season the local municipalities will always welcome them and their trash with open arms.

why should bennies go home? b/c, as noted, that is where they are from & where they belong. but, should they visit, they need to mind their manners & behave respectfully & (dare i say it) deferentially to the locals & the environment of the place they visit. treating the inhabitants of a beach town as if they are beneath you & exist only to be at your beck & call is unacceptable. throwing your trash around like the world is your garbage dump is unacceptable. your standards of behavior should not change simply b/c you are away from home.
    also, do not attempt to bring your hometown w/ you. it's a different culture here, & we like that. we like that the nearest target or walmart is 30 minutes away. those places suck anyway. so does red lobster; go to a real seafood restaurant & learn was fish really tastes like. if you forgot something or need something, go to one of the little mom & pop shops that line the main street of the town you're visiting. they need the business.

oh, & point of clarification: "benny" is the term used in north jersey. in southern jersey, it's "shoobie". always has been, always will be.

42... you nailed it, brother. But you have to wonder... is it partly our fault?

If you've ever traveled, and really loved a place you've been, you don't want it to change. You hate to see it abused, polluted, disrespected... You envy the people who live there, know you're not part of that culture, and understand why you never will be. A place like that MEANS something to you. It's a special place. More often than not, these places are natural places. It's the natural beauty of the ocean, beaches, back bays... or deserts... or mountains... or whatever it is that draws you to the place. It's not some cheesy, kitchy, trying-to-be-something-it's not fraud, built JUST FOR THE BENNIES. Places like that don't get respect, because they don't deserve it. They get used and abused, by tourists and locals alike, because when you go there, you can FEEL the difference. The locals get jobs there, and make good money, and put up with a lot of bullsh!t. But they hate it. And THAT'S the difference. When you build something that attracts idiots, that's what you get. When you keep it simple, clean, and beautiful, you attract people with a greater aesthetic appreciation and and sense of dignity for cultures unlike their own.

+1 on "shoobies" in snj. always has been always will. 6 more weeks and balance will begin to be restored. warm water is over-rated....

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    But you have to wonder... is it partly our fault?
    there is no question in my mind that it is entirely our fault. we have pimped ourselves out for the almighty tourist dollar. we took our sleepy, peaceful fishing villages & turned them into towns full of kitschy amusement & water parks, t-shirt shops, & "attractions". we marketed our towns as places to get away from the heat of the cities that bookend our state, pleading for the bright, shiny city folk to come, please, bathe us in the holy light of your presence & spend your money so that our children won't starve or freeze come wintertime. the effects of the avarice-fueled dreams of our grandfathers are being heaped upon us...we, who have allowed our freedoms to be systematically degraded in favor of the rights & "needs" of the shoobie...no, you can't surf here b/c this area is for swimmers only. sorry, doesn't matter if you surf here by yourself the other 8 months out of the year. that's how it is. no, we can't move the lifeguard stand. this is street is the # already painted on the stand. it has to stay here. no, you can't just cross the beach to go surf b/c you don't have a beachtag. yes, i know you pay property taxes, but you have to buy a beachtag anyway.
    but, like the slaves of old, don't sass the shoobie who deigns to patronize your store, just bow & scrape like always so that they don't take offense & get huffy & walk out.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post

oh, & point of clarification: "benny" is the term used in north jersey. in southern jersey, it's "shoobie". always has been, always will be.
    We prefer to be called "Central" Jersey not north.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    shoobie,lol you must have watched a lot of rocket power back in the day.you think those trash pics someone posted is bad,then you dont want to come to the beaches in monmouth cty.my trash pics would make you cry,im talkin countless broken bottles,crackpipes,tampons,dutch wrappers,little weed baggies,diapers,etc..the list goes on.i volunteer everytime they do a beach cleanup,and everyone should do the same.just know all the trash that piles up on my beach,at high tide with a northerly wind pushes all that trash down to ocean and atlantic counties.bennies are annoying but there would be no jersey shore without them.face it,they bring all the business,all the money,and if there were no more bennies,your parents would lose their business on the boardwalk and be forced to move inland far from the waves.im not able to be on the beach everyday,only when its atleast head high with west winds and im out there from 5 am to 930pm.i got my cooler,my beers,and my grub.i have a blast everytime,and i never seem to run into any of these internet toughguys that plauge this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by cepriano View Post
    shoobie,lol you must have watched a lot of rocket power back in the day.you think those trash pics someone posted is bad,then you dont want to come to the beaches in monmouth cty.my trash pics would make you cry,im talkin countless broken bottles,crackpipes,tampons,dutch wrappers,little weed baggies,diapers,etc..the list goes on.i volunteer everytime they do a beach cleanup,and everyone should do the same.just know all the trash that piles up on my beach,at high tide with a northerly wind pushes all that trash down to ocean and atlantic counties.bennies are annoying but there would be no jersey shore without them.face it,they bring all the business,all the money,and if there were no more bennies,your parents would lose their business on the boardwalk and be forced to move inland far from the waves.im not able to be on the beach everyday,only when its atleast head high with west winds and im out there from 5 am to 930pm.i got my cooler,my beers,and my grub.i have a blast everytime,and i never seem to run into any of these internet toughguys that plauge this forum.

you, sir, are a moron. no one said anything about internet tough guys. only that those who visit the beach towns act w/ at least a little class & respect. not too much to ask, i think. basic manners & all that.

the shoobie term was coined back in the early 1900's & has nothing to do w/ that cheesey, exploitive cartoon show from the late 90's ( for which i am thankfully too old).
    also, my livelihood has nothing to do w/ my parents. & the towns would survive w/out the visitors. the populations would shrink, the economy would dwindle, but there are those (like myself) who would find a way to survive here, just like people survived here before the influx of entitled, self-important, & self-centered SHOOBIES. the tourist dollar is not the only thing this area has going for it, though many people seem to think that's the case.