LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Why should bennies go home?

Ahhhh, a peaceful dawn patrol at 530 am. As I cruise up the steps over the dune I see all this trash in the walkway and in the dunes. The level of disrespect goes beyond the township and is a shameful stab at the Earth itself. I long for the day that people worldwide understand that they're biting the hand that feeds them and stop doing it
    trash1.jpgtrash.jpgtrash2.jpg
    Bennie - summer kooks and renters that are oblivious and dueshy.
    We call them bennies in NJ but I'm sure you guys have different names for them where you live if not NJ.

Bennies should go home because that's where they live. They should come here, mind their manners, spend their money, fall in love with the place, go home and dream about it for the next ten months.

Then come back next year and do it all over again.

As long as they keep bringing their money season after season the local municipalities will always welcome them and their trash with open arms.

why should bennies go home? b/c, as noted, that is where they are from & where they belong. but, should they visit, they need to mind their manners & behave respectfully & (dare i say it) deferentially to the locals & the environment of the place they visit. treating the inhabitants of a beach town as if they are beneath you & exist only to be at your beck & call is unacceptable. throwing your trash around like the world is your garbage dump is unacceptable. your standards of behavior should not change simply b/c you are away from home.
    also, do not attempt to bring your hometown w/ you. it's a different culture here, & we like that. we like that the nearest target or walmart is 30 minutes away. those places suck anyway. so does red lobster; go to a real seafood restaurant & learn was fish really tastes like. if you forgot something or need something, go to one of the little mom & pop shops that line the main street of the town you're visiting. they need the business.

oh, & point of clarification: "benny" is the term used in north jersey. in southern jersey, it's "shoobie". always has been, always will be.

I've seen more sh!t in this past weekend to cause me to lose all hope in the human race than I usually see in an entire month in the spring fall or winter. People have absolutely no respect for each other. Not a drop of patience or kindness. Everyone is out for themselves with no regard for how it affects anyone else.

we had a super good swell here last spring and a mob of surfers from nags head, va. bch. and here were out on the only good breaking peak. the amount of trash left behind at the cul de sac where everyone parked was sickening. several of us picked it all up. the last thing we all need to loose is parking rights here too.

Well when i visit lbi i will make sure to pick up trash so locals dont get mad. But actually as for trash last time i was in jersey those damn gulls where picking the trash can looking for food. Left a huge mess, so dont automatically blame people just cause where supposed to right everytime.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matt757surf View Post
    Well when i visit lbi i will make sure to pick up trash so locals dont get mad. But actually as for trash last time i was in jersey those damn gulls where picking the trash can looking for food. Left a huge mess, so dont automatically blame people just cause where supposed to right everytime.
    True that, I've been seeing lots of seagulls flying around with six packs and bags of ice.

42... you nailed it, brother. But you have to wonder... is it partly our fault?

If you've ever traveled, and really loved a place you've been, you don't want it to change. You hate to see it abused, polluted, disrespected... You envy the people who live there, know you're not part of that culture, and understand why you never will be. A place like that MEANS something to you. It's a special place. More often than not, these places are natural places. It's the natural beauty of the ocean, beaches, back bays... or deserts... or mountains... or whatever it is that draws you to the place. It's not some cheesy, kitchy, trying-to-be-something-it's not fraud, built JUST FOR THE BENNIES. Places like that don't get respect, because they don't deserve it. They get used and abused, by tourists and locals alike, because when you go there, you can FEEL the difference. The locals get jobs there, and make good money, and put up with a lot of bullsh!t. But they hate it. And THAT'S the difference. When you build something that attracts idiots, that's what you get. When you keep it simple, clean, and beautiful, you attract people with a greater aesthetic appreciation and and sense of dignity for cultures unlike their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    True that, I've been seeing lots of seagulls flying around with six packs and bags of ice.
    I meet up with a gaggle of gulls every thursday for poker nite, they always bring the ice....ha-good one!