LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Engineering Optimization Project

Any engineers out there?

I am a mechanical engineering student doing a project using MATLAB to optimize anything I want. I was thinking of trying to optimize something related to surfing. Does anyone have any ideas that I could try? My initial thought was optimizing fins but realized there is not a lot of research dealing with fins. I am open to any ideas, even ones that are not surfing related.

How about an artificial reef or other type of beach erosion prevention device?

fins would probably be a tricky fluid mechanics problem. Maybe something having to do with pfd's for the big wave surfers? maximum float with a minimized area for less restriction... then again... if you're wearing a jacket... you're probably not paddling... i duno just a thought

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zrich View Post
    ^ exactly what I was thinking, or maybe different board materials or even foam volume in relation to a surfers weight.

This might be unoriginal, and maybe you already know about this, but how about finding a copy of The Naval Architecture of Planing Hulls, by Lindsay Lord, 1946. I do a lot of work for the New York Yacht Club and their library doesn't have it, which makes me think that it could be a hard book to find. But the summaries I've read of it sound cool. Maybe there's room for new ideas about surfboards--beyond what Bob Simmons found.

If you want to keep it simple, how about optimizing the rocker for a given takeoff angle and maximizing speed. Less rocker is higher speed but lower takeoff angle. Something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by ewwoodsurf View Post
    This might be unoriginal, and maybe you already know about this, but how about finding a copy of The Naval Architecture of Planing Hulls, by Lindsay Lord, 1946. I do a lot of work for the New York Yacht Club and their library doesn't have it, which makes me think that it could be a hard book to find. But the summaries I've read of it sound cool. Maybe there's room for new ideas about surfboards--beyond what Bob Simmons found.
    Very interesting, I didn't think about doing outlines in general. In case you're interested in reading the book I found a pdf here. http://e-j-m.com/lord-book.html

Artificial reef is the first thing to come to mind when I thought about engineering, but that is too large of a engineering project for me to take on.

and @lonesome, that is also a good idea for the pfd, but that seems like a more fitting project using CAD rather than matlab.

Flexible fins. I was thinking fins that flex/bend lengthwis but not top to bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by zrich View Post
    I'm bumping this.

An artificial reef is a sick idea and can double as a hurricane barrier.

hey man matlab would be a good way to analyze surfing. I think I would make an ideal (optimized...) volume calculator. It could simultaneously solve for the moment that the board goes from being displacement to planing and you would input mass and wave face angle and stuff like that and have it spit out some board volumes. I bet if you were a real dougie houser you could make it calculate glass thickness due to the bottom pressures. Boo yah.

I have a couple matlab books on my shelf, PM me if you need any help with your project.
    Last edited by purpleheadedyogurtslinger; Jul 25, 2012 at 12:37 PM.