LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sting Rays in Monmouth County, NJ

First post here... I was out surfing yesterday in Spring Lake, NJ. As I approached the water from the sand I noticed that the water was unusually reddish-brown in certain areas. I proceeded to enter the water. While in the water there was lots of seaweed and even some red seaweed which I haven't really seen at this spot, as it is my usual spot to surf. As a wave would roll in you would see these dark reddish-brown objects that looked like sting rays but I just kind of figured they were just large clumps of seaweed. Another 5 mins went by and with every wave that rolled through I noticed the same objects over and over. Eventually we saw a fin come out of the water and realized these were sting rays... I just thought it was very weird that there were SOO many of them in the water. We also saw a few larger fish swimming around.. Needless to say we left the water as we didn't truly know what was in the water. Anyone experience or see this yesterday? Is it the warmer water temperatures bringing in this type of wildlife? Also, I heard they spotted a shark in the Manasquan Inlet yesterday as well. Not trying to start any sudden scare or anything, just curious as to what type of sting rays they might have been and if any one else saw the same as I did?

Quote Originally Posted by shorebreaker View Post
    First post here... I was out surfing yesterday in Spring Lake, NJ. As I approached the water from the sand I noticed that the water was unusually reddish-brown in certain areas. I proceeded to enter the water. While in the water there was lots of seaweed and even some red seaweed which I haven't really seen at this spot, as it is my usual spot to surf. As a wave would roll in you would see these dark reddish-brown objects that looked like sting rays but I just kind of figured they were just large clumps of seaweed. Another 5 mins went by and with every wave that rolled through I noticed the same objects over and over. Eventually we saw a fin come out of the water and realized these were sting rays... I just thought it was very weird that there were SOO many of them in the water. We also saw a few larger fish swimming around.. Needless to say we left the water as we didn't truly know what was in the water. Anyone experience or see this yesterday? Is it the warmer water temperatures bringing in this type of wildlife? Also, I heard they spotted a shark in the Manasquan Inlet yesterday as well. Not trying to start any sudden scare or anything, just curious as to what type of sting rays they might have been and if any one else saw the same as I did?
    Are you sure this is the ocean you are talking about?

Images
    Me and my Friend went out last night in spring lake around 6:00 to 9:00 pm and we saw a school of dolphin about 5 feet away from us.

DawnPatrolSUP- 100% sure... Others got out of the water as we got out of the water, and we all were in agreement that they were sting rays. Very unusual.

DawnPatrolSUP- 100% sure... Others got out of the water as we got out of the water, and we all were in agreement that they were sting rays. Very unusual.
    Interesting, Stingrays.... actually in the ocean, f'ing kooks

Spring Lake has had this problem before. A few years ago, they were out there for weeks and Spring Lake had to close the beach down. They aren't actually string rays, but some other species. I forget the name now.

DawnPatrolSUP- I guess that's why I never post in this forum cause everyone is smarter than the other... I've been surfing for quite some time and have been going in the ocean for my entire life, so it would be nice to have a little respect not act like a kook yourself... There were a S#$& load of them in the water.. which I've never seen like that in a huge school just hanging around the breaking waves. If anyone has any valuable insight or noticed the same as I did that would be cool instead of useless responses.

DawnPatrolSUP- I guess that's why I never post in this forum cause everyone is smarter than the other... I've been surfing for quite some time and have been going in the ocean for my entire life, so it would be nice to have a little respect not act like a kook yourself... There were a S#$& load of them in the water.. which I've never seen like that in a huge school just hanging around the breaking waves. If anyone has any valuable insight or noticed the same as I did that would be cool instead of useless responses.
    Easy fella, wasn't disrespecting you, just seems rather comical that you are shocked you saw a pod of stinrays, as if this is some sort of phenomenon.... IT'S THE OCEAN, c'mon man... If you have spent any real amount of time in the water this would seem silly to you as well. Carry on...

And the kook comment was directed at the stingrays.... who never go to beach except in the summer.

Just spoke to a guy here at work... He thinks they may have been bullnose rays as he said they like to hang out lower in the water and then as waves come by they'll swim up towards the face of the wave... which is exactly what happened yesterday... Just not sure!