LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Waterproof bandaid??

So I'm gonna sound like a big baby here but I have a cut on my knee. And it's been there for like a month now because of breaking the scap while surfing.. I've been trying to wear a spring suit as much as possible but tommorow is going to be too hot for that.. Any other ideas on how to keep this scap from breaking again???? Thanks in advance

Bandaid brand Sport Strips, not the water proof ones, but the Sport Strips. They still suck, but they're better than nothing. I find that the water proof ones don't stay on as well, as soon as they get a little loose or any water under them at all, bam the whole thing comes off. The Sport Strips suck up water like a sponge, but the adhesive stays stuck to you, kind of. You might want to try a neoprene knee brace. Overkill for a cut, but it will keep it from getting opened back. I've surfed with one ever since I had knee surgery, they're a little stiff; but hey, everything in this life is a compromise, right?

The knee is a tough spot because the skin is always moving. Have you tried liquid band-aid? I love that stuff. Or you could Super Glue over the scab

Images
    If you coat your scab and the skin around it with Neosporin at least an hour before surfing, your skin will be much more pliable and less likely to split the scab. That won't help anything to stick to your skin though (bandage or whatever you cover it with). Ironically I'm dealing with a deep hole to the bone on the edge of my palm/thumb area. It's a week old today and still bleeding and pussing. It needed stitches but they didn't stitch it because it's a dog bite and bacteria become an issue. I was given antibiotics and a tetanus shot. I feel like if I surf tomorrow it will set me back a week, but if it looks fun.......
    Good luck with your hole.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Bandaid brand Sport Strips,
    Then over lap the bandaid with "transpore" clear tape made by 3M. You can usually find this tape @ your local Pharmacy as each roll is 20 feet and cost under $2.00. If unable to find it then ask the Pharmacist as best tape I ever found for use in salt water as I have to tape up for every session.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy footer View Post
    Then over lap the bandaid with "transpore" clear tape made by 3M. You can usually find this tape @ your local Pharmacy as each roll is 20 feet and cost under $2.00. If unable to find it then ask the Pharmacist as best tape I ever found for use in salt water as I have to tape up for every session.
    Cool! Thnks for the help guys! Do you know where they carry these bandaid brand sport strips??

Images
    I just use duct tape, put a tissue or something over the scab and then duct tape the **** out of it! It's cheap, waterproof, and stay on well. I see a lot of guys that do that for reef cuts during the contest season on the North Shore.

+1 duct tape... I used to get so cut up on my feet that I bought flesh colored (tan) that I just left in my car. Reef booties are for kooks.

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    I just use duct tape, put a tissue or something over the scab and then duct tape the **** out of it! It's cheap, waterproof, and stay on well. I see a lot of guys that do that for reef cuts during the contest season on the North Shore.
    hmmm.. well I guess I'll have to find out how well it works. I think this is what I will try tommorow. Thanks guys

I use tegaderm over my insulin pump sites. It works reasonably well, but I don't know how well it would hold up over a bending knee.

If you go the duct tape route, throw some vaseline or neosporin over the wound itself. That should help keep bacteria out.