LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Total Newbie

Total Newbie

I'm considered an old fart, I guess, trying to learn how to surf. I'm 54, kinda small size (5'6") and just bought a Degree33 Ultimate Mini, 8.6. It's what I would consider the perfect board for me to learn on, but it certainly ain't gonna surf for me. I had my second go at it yesterday, in up to waist high surf, with nothing but failures. I can't even sit on the board without it practically flipping on me, without any warning. I need help trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I had about 4 chances at decent waves, but as soon as I feel the push from the wave, and it starts taking me, I try to stand and suddenly there's nothing but water under me
    I tried watching others for a while to try and learn from them, but couldn't really see what it was I was missing. I think what I may be doing wrong is that when I go to stand I believe that I maybe should be leaning a little forward and try not to stand too straight until I'm stable. Does this sound at all correct. Help a brutha out folks. I'm not going to fail at this, but I also don't want to spend $100 an hour for a lesson, when I'm pretty sure I just need time and practice.
    And as far as the sitting on the board goes, what the heck is happening? I watch others just sitting there all relaxed with no effort. I try doing the same thing, and all of a sudden the board flips on me. I thought that maybe I'm making it worse, by trying to compensate in the wrong way?
    Any help I could get would be real cool y'all.

Images
    Instead of trying to stand right as the wave takes you push the board down and arch your back, you will feel the difference, then POP up like a squat thrust. Also make sure you are not to far back on the board. As for sitting on it it's so choppy here I still flip over every now and then. Just keep trying. See you out there!

you might be trying to stand up too quickly, before you have caught the wave. try riding one or two waves without trying to stand up. you'll be able to feel when you have caught the wave. also, tons of instructional videos to watch online

I still folllow a rule, take 3 more paddles after you think you have caught the wave then stand up

If you can't sit on your board, you need to be practicing balance..... a lot!

Images
    practice, practice, practice and a whole lot of patience...i would also consider doing some push-ups and sit-ups and stretching exercices...dont give up, it will come to ya

Maybe you are popping up too soon. Maybe you are leaning too far forward. But first things first. Have you read up on basic surf techniques? Worked on your pop-up? Practiced catching whitewater waves first? If not, here is a list of some basic technique stuff I have found helpful:

http://www.surfsimply.com/podcast/
    http://www.surfingsandiego.com/school.asp
    http://www.tribalsurf.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=855
    http://www.surfline.com/surfology/su...hool_index.cfm

Learning to surf takes a lot of time and practice, moreso the older you are. I started at 40 and it took me six months to just be able to catch waves. Be patient, read up on technique, watch more experienced surfers, have a friend video you if possible, but above all you gotta spend the time in the water, there is no substitute.

Out of curiosity, where in TX do you surf?

First find someone that surfs .A few sessions with them will go a long way;.Watch more experienced surfers., Like the above post says watch vids,watch youtube and read books. Surfing takes time and practice. Don't get frustrated. Learn the basics first such as paddling to build your stamina and like you stated just sitting on your board. Never take your eye off the ocean and cover up when you fall. Stay Golden and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Zman9398 View Post
    I still folllow a rule, take 3 more paddles after you think you have caught the wave then stand up
    That is good advice.

Images
    54 is NOT old. Just wait another 10 years and see how you feel. Oh, and just like the East Coast. . . there is no surf in Texas. ""Mai huli 'oe i kokua o ke Kai""