LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Helmets & Surfing

Hey All,

Heading back to central america again this week. We could be in store for a big, big swell. The kind that shuts down all the beaches and the reefs get pretty darn heavy. Last year we had a similar one and during my session at the peak of the swell, there were more than a couple of guys wearing helmets....and surfing well.

I didn't get worked that hard that session but seeing guys wearing helmets not only seemed smart but made me feel spooked and vulnerable. I feel like I would charge harder knowing my noggin was protected. I played ice hockey growing up and know the values of a helmet.

So my question is; I have a Pro Tec skate helmet. It's not specifically designed for water sports. I understand the padding may absorb more water and drip on my face. Any have any experience or tips in the situation??

Images
    if it makes you surf better go for it. but i think an ice hockey helmet would work better than pro tec. ice hockey is sturdy, doesnt come off your head easy, and the foam doesnt absorb water. (i used to play hockey too)

Images
    Wow, if I had to wear a helmet I would know that it was probably beyond my limits and I should be taking pictures.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Wow, if I had to wear a helmet I would know that it was probably beyond my limits and I should be taking pictures.
    coco nogales wears a helmet when he surfs big puerto and hes been surfing there since he was kid!

Helmet laws for the win.

Unless you have a brain disorder that could cause you to die if you hit your head, you are a homosexual if you wear a helmet. There is no way around it.

Images
    There probably aren't too many people, if any, on this forum with experience wearing a helmet in the water. I'd do some web searching to see if you can find out what other surfer's are wearing. I have no experience with skate helmet, but I'd imagine snowboard helmets would be pretty water proof and would be a good fit. I know they are pretty expensive too. I know my mountain bike helmet wouldnt be good for water.

pro Tec makes a water helmet I use to kite surf that's awesome. never surfed anything big enough for it yet but its def a good idea esp for a reef. Even a heavy beach break really. I work in a hospital and I've seen a lot of traumatic brain injuries that could've been avoided if they were wearing one. If it means surfing another day or being alive for that matter why not. To righdude Look up a craniectomy and tell me how gay it makes you. that could be you if you hit your head and the intracranial pressure builds. Try surfing w a piece of your skull missing if you're not a veggie already anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rlghdude View Post
    Unless you have a brain disorder that could cause you to die if you hit your head, you are a homosexual if you wear a helmet. There is no way around it.
    You are a douche! If the OP wants to wear a helmet then that is fine. And would you call Gerry Lopez a homosexual?

I've got a helemt as well as four of my friends. Some of us have kids, have had a history of concussions, and have been wearing helmets for years as we snowboard etc. Anyway, we all have our reasons and it's a personal choice. I'm not going to debate anyone here about whether they should wear one or not. I first looked into white water helmets but worried that they were too low in the neck area and would be an issue while arching and looking ahead. I went with a Gath. Shipping took a long time and I had to return it b/c it was too small. If you order a large, you will get a medium/large w/ a foam strip to remove as a way to adjust the size. This didn't work out for me b/c I wanted to wear it w/ a hood in winter and with the thicker strip during the warmer months. I dont even notice it when I'm wearing it. The foam doesn't absorb any water and the visor is a plus while looking out to sea and waiting for a set.