LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by nickzilla720 View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys. The spot is heavy and shallow. Hockey helmet does repel water better. However, the chin strap is a pretty weak snap type. Looking into an alternative strap but honestly my skate helmet is more comfortable and has a sturdier strap. I could imagine showing photos of myself surfing with a hockey helmet and getting a lot of laughs from my hockey buddies. Ha!

I talked to a surfer friend of mine who used to be a semi-pro wakeboarder and he suffered a head injury once and wears one all the time.

Honestly, I am stoked for my trip and don't give a crap what I look like. Never hurts to be prepared. If I get some sick photos with a helmet on I'll share them here. Plus then I can show them to Mom without her having an anxiety attack! haha
    Don't worry about it then. Who gives a ****? I wore a helmet when growing up in Kauai. A lot of people wear them now. Shallow reefs are unforgiving.

Images
    Check out Capix. They make some for wakeboarding that would work well, I have one of theirs for snowboarding that's super comfortable, plus they are only like $30.

Its pretty dumb not to wear a helmet road biking... I hear about people getting into accidents all the time on the road bikes.
    But the spandex is soooo cute...

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Is it possible that 'coach' is Gruvi's inbred cousin?
    They are both the captains for their regional divisions of Team Salt Life.

As far as helmets: I always wear them if I'm getting on a bike, a motorcycle or in a skate park. I would wear a helmet in shallow reef conditions if I had one, but I only find myself in those conditions about 1-2 weeks out of every year. If I were going to Indo or anywhere with super shallow breaks, I would get one for sure.

If you have any questions about whether it's stylish enough.... Just put a bird on it!

I see guys, usually older, wearing them at wilderness in PR every year. They usually wear them when its big, like double over head. The thing that struck me, when its big the waves break in deeper water and I would think the chances of bouncing off the bottom are lower, correct? I'm not knocking them as I have a child and anything to be there for his future is a plus, but it seems they would be a hindrance. Maybe I will give one a shot just to see. When its big I need all my senses to survive but I think I might try one in smaller surf just to see how it feels. When I wear a hoodie it dulls some of the senses, especially hearing which gives me a funny feeling but thats just me I guess. As you get older you learn not to give a crap what anyone thinks anyway so do whatever you makes you feel secure. I see an for leatherup.com next to my post, maybe go for the German.
    Last edited by StuckontheGulf; Jul 30, 2012 at 01:33 PM.

I have seen some guys wearing helmets surfing the reefs at low tide in Costa rica (avellanas, little hawaii). Personally, I'll just surf the beachie and let the tide fill in. Landing head first is only PART of the problem...

As for needing it for big waves, not so much. For big waves you need to worry about long hold downs and the possibility of jumping over the falls. I think you should just swim some laps this week and eat your Weaties. Helmets are more of a shallow reef thing.

If it's that dangerous of a reef, then i say go for it, why not

I used a ProTec helmet as a white water kayaking guide and never had an issue with it. Most of its construction is that harder styrofoam-like material, the actual padding wasn't enough to soak up much water. Lots of other guys wore ProTecs too. Never worn one surfing, but I've been out on plenty of days when others do. Not going to knock 'em for being smarter than I am. They probably have suffered less concussions than I have.

i could see one at a heavy reef break but I would think a leatt type neck brace would be more helpful at a beach break.
    Last edited by aka pumpmaster; Jul 30, 2012 at 03:00 PM.

Helmets are necessary for some applications imho, better safe than sorry. But it depends on the circumstances. I would go with the helmet even if it is not exactly designed for water sports...