LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longboard Fin

Longboard Fin

After looking around for a decent used longboard for a while, I finally pulled the trigger on a 9'0\" Stewart LSP I found on craigslist. This is my first longboard and I'm looking for some help with the fin.<br /><br />The board came with the fin shown below. It's 6.5\". It just seems kind of short to me. Is a reasonable fin to use or is it too short for this board? Not sure if I will be using side bites or not, with probably experiment with and without. <br /><br /><br />If this thing is too short, what would a decent, basic fin be for this board? I know it depends on what I want to do with the board. Mostly I just plan on riding it on smaller days (bought the longboard just to get me out more in the summer). Just trying to figure out what a good base is to try out first, can always change it up down the road. <br /><br />About me: 6'0\", 175 lbs, 28 y/o, surfing for 2.5 yrs. Boards I usually ride are a SB and a retro fish. <br /><br />Thanks guys.

Yea... too short to use as a single fin. I'd be looking at at least an 8" fin. Even with sidebites, I'd be using a 7 or 7.5.

Congrats on the new board. 6.5" is alright if you plan on using side bites. If you want to try the single fin life, I would go for a 8.5"-9" fin. I highly recommend the RFC "Wingnut" Sweep - best fin I have ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by dlrouen View Post
    Congrats on the new board. 6.5" is alright if you plan on using side bites. If you want to try the single fin life, I would go for a 8.5"-9" fin. I highly recommend the RFC "Wingnut" Sweep - best fin I have ever used.
    Bingo. The RFC Wingnut is a sick fin. And yes 6.5 is what I used on a 7'0" single. For 9 ft board I would say 9-10 depending on what style surfing you do on it. Bigger for noserides, smaller for high performance longboarding.

Congrats on the new board. 6.5\\\" is alright if you plan on using side bites. If you want to try the single fin life, I would go for a 8.5\\\"-9\\\" fin. I highly recommend the RFC \\\"Wingnut\\\" Sweep - best fin I have ever used.
    I'm with LBCrew you need 8" or so - again w/ sidebites. I have a wingnut hachet I'm selling for $25, the 7inch rainbow is $10. PM me if you want them- located in Bridgewater, NJ.

http://www.swellinfo.com/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif
    http://www.swellinfo.com/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gfootr; Jul 29, 2012 at 01:02 PM.

bumped for pix above

Thanks guys. Guess I'll start looking around for a larger fin. After doing some more reading I think a 2+1 setup will work better for me, but want to play around with both.

Too bad I need to fix a couple dings on it today, this AM would have been a good first time to take her out, knee high and light offshore in Long Beach. Maybe I can get her out for the evening session.

Gfootr - sending you a PM.

The best setup I ever had with sidebites was a 7" cutaway. Figure this... sidebites are super short fins. Basically, they're all base. So you can use a longer center fin with a super short base (like a cutaway) because the sidebite bases make up for it, plus they shift the overall fin area forward for responsiveness. The advantage is you have a longer center fin to anchor you when you're out on the tip, but you don't have an excessive amount of base. And when I say cutaway, I'm talking about this...

http://www.waveridersfingallery.com/...mart&Itemid=72

I'm currently riding a 9" Josh Farberow Flex Fin in my 9'3 log.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Jul 29, 2012 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Yea... too short to use as a single fin. I'd be looking at at least an 8" fin. Even with sidebites, I'd be using a 7 or 7.5.
    I've been riding the 9'0" LSP for the last 6 years. I switched from a 9'6" Hydrohull after I buckled it. The LSP (Light Speed Performance) is not a nose rider and is a great transition for a former short boarder who still goes on the rails. I guess you could use it as a single fin, but if that how you want to ride I think Stewart has a bunch of boards better suited with more volume for that style. I use a 7" center fin with the side bites. It really doesn't work for how its designed without the side bites. DSC01164.jpg

Since your current fin has so much presence, I think you're fine with a 6.5" with side bites. If you were using something with a smaller base w/ side bites, like a cutaway, I would go a .5" or 1" larger.