LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Nike

Quote Originally Posted by zrich View Post
    The funny thing is, communites complain about Wal-Mart or Target coming into their areas, but then the parking lots are jammed with these same people from the day they open. Obviously, these companies are fulfilling a demand that either wasn't being met by existing retailers or are doing it more cheaply than existing retailers. Either that or the residents didn't really care either way, but wanted to complain about something.

If a mom and pop shop can't find a way to compete with Wal-Mart on price, they need to differentiate their shop in another way (customer service, return policy, delivery, higher quality goods, whatever). If they can't do that, they won't survive. If the public demands cheap, low quality crap from China because they don't care about having to replace their (fill in the blank) every year, and they don't care about exploitation of labor overseas, and they don't care about the environmental ramifications (both from production and disposition of crappy goods), then the Wal-Marts of the world will continue to thrive, especially in an economy where those at the margins can barely survive.

Personally, I shop where I get the best service and the best quality for my money. If I go into a local shop or big-box store and get crappy service, I typically won't go back ever again even if they have the best prices. Taking this back to Nike and surfing - the vast majority of hardcore surfers aren't going to buy Nike gear. It's going to be wannabes, kooks, and trend followers - ie, those who either don't know any better or aren't going to be surfing for long.

It seems to me like we're seeing a trend away from the Wal-Marts of the world and more towards the local economy lately, but maybe I'm wrong. There's nothing wrong with profit, but profit earned unethically is not acceptable.
    very good post. pretty much sums up my position. not sure where you are going with the unethical part tho. Arguments with platitudes (hey, another big word) never work since they show naivete (whoohoo another big word). things like 'faceless corporations' is total bs since all companies are made up of people.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    very good post. pretty much sums up my position. not sure where you are going with the unethical part tho. Arguments with platitudes (hey, another big word) never work since they show naivete (whoohoo another big word). things like 'faceless corporations' is total bs since all companies are made up of people.
    By unethical profits, I mean profits where one party earns a profit by exploiting another (e.g. child labor, forced labor, unsafe working conditions, etc.)

gotcha. pretty much agree except for child labor. I would say forced child labor since many family farms use child labor,

gotcha. pretty much agree except for child labor. I would say forced child labor since many family farms use child labor,
    Family farms are a bit of different story. In my opinion, the labor laws in this country are a little ridiculous. Obvously they vary by state, but if I, as a 12 year old, wanted to start my own lawn cutting business, I'm not sure I could legitimately do it. Under the table - no problem, but complying with laws, it would probably be impossible.

Anyway, yes, I meant forced child labor. What I mean by exploitation is a situation where one of the parties involved is either not there on his own free will or is being forced to work in conditions that are not safe. Now, there are many jobs in the world that are inherently unsafe, but as long as the workers are making the choice to work there and the compensation is appropriate given the risk and the employer is in compliance with any safety regulations, then I am OK with that.

Quote Originally Posted by super fish View Post
    what does everyone consider wrv? they have big shops in VA, NC, HI, and PR
    Original WRV shop was at Cypress & Norfolk Ave. in Va. Beach. There's a bike shop there now. A pretty cool one at that.

Walmart is great for buying ammo. With the exception of my hand-loaded sniper rounds I get all my bulk stuff there.

pumpmaster...

I use child labor... I've fired my two sons dozens of times.

Why don't you reload?

i only reload for for my 223 and 308 since those are my super accurate sniper rifles. I dont have a progressive style reloader so that takes forever. Asking for one for xmas so I should be able to reload my 223 AR rounds, 9mm and 45 acp next year.

Images
    Nice, I just meant i can see the owner operator and can have a relationship with him. Good thread. Enjoy hearing different points of

Images
    View. Lets hope for surf soon!