LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Nike

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    There's nothing wrong with making it and I'm the sort who believes that if you don't like something, fine don't buy it. Vote with your wallet, but giving any entitiy a pass just because "that's business", is a problem.

Nike did start small. Walmart did too. H-e-double hockey sticks, most people forget or don't know that up until Sam Walton died in the mid-90's, Walmart prided themselves on being one of the largest distributors of goods "Made In America". Walmart was one of the direct reasons that the 89-91 recession wasn't nearly as bad as it was, no bull. SAm made a commitment to buy American goods and sell them cheaply. His kids, who are some of the richest people in the world, most certainly don't follow that credo now and Nike never did (I'm not knocking being rich or making it or any of that, just pointing out that they're commitment to profit is greater than their commitment to the ol' U.S. of A.; G-D, Family, and Country above all else is a credo that has been lost in my life time).

That's why I'm wearing New Balance shoes and socks right now, because they're a company that has made a commitment to keeping and bringing back manufacturing jobs. The NB socks I'm wearing right now, the label they sport cost me 2$ more a 3-pack. It ain't the NB on the back either, it's what's woven into the weave on the inside of the collar that counts. In big, block, bold letters it says, "MADE IN THE USA" and they were. The last car I bought my wife was a Ford. Three reasons, quality control improvements, assembled in America (I know a great many of the parts say "Hecho en Mexico) and they didn't take TARP money. When Ford stock plummeted in March of 2009, I put even more money where my mouth is and bought every share I could, because I believe in the company and their ideals. From the New Balance website:

"We made our first pair of running shoes in 1938 and hold the distinction as the only company that still manufactures athletic shoes in the USA. One out of every four pair of shoes we sell in the U.S. is made or assembled here. Where the domestic value is at least 70% we have labeled them "Made in the USA"."

I guess my point is, in the U.S. a corporation has the same rights as an individual. We as surfers talk about educating people in the line-up, community focus and informing ourselves on local issues. When we go other places, we talk about respecting them, acting properly and giving as much as we take (don't be a wave hog). These are kind of hallmarks of "good citizenship". If a corporate entity is a person, why do they get a pass on being poor citizens? If a person you know kept children in miserable conditions, in indentured servitude with no hope of anything better in this life; would you give that person your hard earned money? I try not to.
    I am bumping this. Good post. Well said.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    i dont see a big issue with these corporations. How is a big company lobbying any different from labor doing it? I would prefer that they all buy stuff in this country but as long as labor rates are so high, they cant and survive. from what I am seeing, there seems to be some movement to bringing production back to the US (mainly the southern states) due to the corruption in China and other areas so hopefully that trend continues.

Getting back to the topic, it all goes back to adaptation. Those shops that adapt to changing conditions will be fine. those that cling to the past will not regardless of Nike or any other big player.
    Big Labor doesn't have near the money that Corporations do, or near the amount of lobbyists and campaign contributions, but seeing how this is not going to change anytime soon, you are right, they do have to adapt, and we should adapt by buying local.

Quote Originally Posted by natkitchen View Post
    Big Labor doesn't have near the money that Corporations do, or near the amount of lobbyists and campaign contributions, but seeing how this is not going to change anytime soon, you are right, they do have to adapt, and we should adapt by buying local.
    Oh really??? so what happens when you buy local and your local store makes it to the big time? Do you get all trendy and say they sold out?
    Last edited by aka pumpmaster; Aug 1, 2012 at 02:48 PM.

so you think all this is a new phenomena huh?
    so you think all this is a new phenomena huh?
    Not new. but never has been worse i'd say. I understand little companies go under all the time. But not like this man. with the economy and the worst snow fall in history this last year the snowboard industry is beyond hurting. which has put a serious strain on the "big 5" surf/skate/snow companies who are heavily invested in outerwear. The number of big brands closing or selling for next to nothing right now is unreal.

with that pressure trickling down to brick and mortar stores they are no longer able to invest in local or small companies. and the big D*cks are giving them reasons and great prices to not ever have to go back to a hodgepodge of surf and skate brands plus it's easier for them to only place orders from a few people.

not to mention the (almost) complete extinction of sales reps. the only companies that can afford to get their product in front of shops are the big guys now anyways.

hopefully these last 90 days of summer were profitable for the shops and they will make the right decision when order time comes. but they only order what kids ask for. now with kids only seeing nike in their shops i wonder what they'll ask for...

the economy is an impact for sure but there have always been big boy against the little guy. If the big boys produce crap, they will go under or cut that business line loose due to low sales. Look at Gotcha. They were HUGE in the 80s but where are they now?

the economy is an impact for sure but there have always been big boy against the little guy. If the big boys produce crap, they will go under or cut that business line loose due to low sales. Look at Gotcha. They were HUGE in the 80s but where are they now?
    Still in the 80's where they should stay, I cringe at the site of the gotcha/op billboard I was in the family album. A neon colored munchkin, lol the memories.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harhar View Post
    Still in the 80's where they should stay, I cringe at the site of the gotcha/op billboard I was in the family album. A neon colored munchkin, lol the memories.
    I still rock an Instinct T...Shaun Tomson was/is a beast in the tube.

Images
    Oh really??? so what happens when you buy local and your local store makes it to the big time? Do you get all trendy and say they sold out?
    what does everyone consider wrv? they have big shops in VA, NC, HI, and PR

9. wrv has been around for ever, and grew with the sport. nike jumped on the band wagon when it saw how much money there was to be made. bought there way right to the top so they can capitolize on surfing and skating.

Thanks for all the support guys and have another on me!