LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olympic surfing

Olympic surfing

Why is surfing not in the Olympics? Surfs Up!

Because it would hugely limit the number of places where you could hold the Olympics. I think that's the main reason. Most countries have rivers, lakes, etc. so they can hold sailing, rowing, and other aquatic sports that require large spaces. But not all countries have an oceanic coastline, let alone one that's good for surfing. Add to that that the area has to be consistently good for surfing in the dead of winter or the middle of summer and it just becomes implausible.

Then there's the logistical problem of everything needing to be scheduled in the Olympics. There needs to be a designated time for everything for various reasons. Surfing competitions are usually set to happen within a given time interval so that when the conditions are right, the competition is on. That's not a luxury the Olympics really has.

Because what if there is not a sufficient swell swell during the games. If manmade wave technology progresses it might be. we can hope

Quote Originally Posted by unnecessary duckdive View Post
    Because what if there is not a sufficient swell swell during the games. If manmade wave technology progresses it might be. we can hope
    Wave pools are interesting, but I still hate them. There's something about it that doesn't sit well with me at all. It just doesn't seem like surfing a man-made wave encompasses the vibe that's so integral to surfing.

Also, when you take the need for competent wave selection out of surfing, it feels like you've taken away all of the spirit of surfing and the feeling of being one with the ocean and being able to read nature.

Yes, and not all countries have mountains for skiing, or big enough lakes for sailing where they then go to other locations. I do get your point. Thanks. Wouldn't it be nice............... Surfs Up!

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice...............
    Cue Beach Boys.

no, it wouldn't.

surfing will never be in the olympics as i remember reading somewhere once that they will never add another subjective sport to the olympic games. also, like baseball, i'm not sure that there is a sufficient world-wide population to participate, either.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    no, it wouldn't.

surfing will never be in the olympics as i remember reading somewhere once that they will never add another subjective sport to the olympic games. also, like baseball, i'm not sure that there is a sufficient world-wide population to participate, either.
    Completely agreed. The last thing we need is more surfing on TVs. If surfing was in the olympics I garentee 2 out of 3 husbands would turn to their wives and say, "Gee, honey. That looks fun. Lets try it this summer."

No thank you.
    Last edited by idsmashh; Jul 31, 2012 at 02:40 AM.

Images
    What about surfing in triathalons?

Interesting, olympic canoeing/kayaking courses are manmade.