LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    was he the type of guy that paddles for a wave, misses and and then trys to paddle for the next one in the set? like nobody could go till he gets his. i can't stand that.

Images
    you should have jumped on his board and tried to tandem surf...after all it was a soft top.

If you were surfing town beach, Gansett, I feel sorry for you. I was looking at the cam yesterday and laughing at the swarm of "surfers." I ride a longboard but I give shortboarders their due. Try some other breaks. I had a peak to myself this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyPedro View Post
    Try some other breaks. I had a peak to myself this morning.
    ^^^ This, so much easier than paddle battles all the time

well if you're gonna stay and surf there, dropping in on someone is not the best technique. A few formative years at first street taught me to sit right on top of the breaking wave as close to the peak as possible then..take off behind him...call him off...shred behind him and make sure you push him to far to the shoulder that he dorks out...when he calls you out for being a d!ck tell him to stop shoulder hoping... lastly prepare for a
    1.fight
    2.yelling match
    3.heated debate
    4.insult or at the least
    5. an intelligent discussion on surfing etiquette
    If your not ready for 1-4 then surf somewhere else

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by idsmashh View Post
    Dropping in is more dangerous to you then him... That's why it was your fault.
    I can agree and disagree.. I was paddling for that wave first and the guy who hit my board was just passing by me towards the wave coming in behind me. He came out of nowhere when I thought it was clear...instead while he was paddling towards the wave, he set up for it and caught it, while I was about to drop in. It annoyed me but in a sence.. I was dropping in on him.

7. What would I do? Go home and grab the log. Then sit about 10 feet further out than him and just put him through hell. If you can't beat them, join em.

By a "WaveJet" sit a little bit deeper than him every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scobeyville View Post
    By a "WaveJet" sit a little bit deeper than him every time.
    Funny you mentioned.... I saw some dude on one of these last Sunday, either it was a Wavejet, or he somehow figured out how to hookup a trolling motor to it or something, because dude was just standing upright and the board had bubbles coming from the back and his board was moving at about 1mph behind the lineup, he never tried catching a wave, I don't even think he knows how, he had a beer in one hand i think and was just cruising and having a good ole time

We get crap like this during summers in WB constantly on anything bigger than knee high. I'm not really phased by it now (used to get me heated back in middle school circa '92). Now on days like that (yesterday) I do several things in a specific order.

1) STAY AWAY from the packs. I know there are breaks where that's not possible, but in NC there's usually plenty of peaks. If it's less than chest-high (which is often here) I'm on a longboard. During the summer I'm on my beater longboard. I make a point to follow etiquette (trading sets, paddling back out around the peak, calling left/right, asking if someone is "going", etc)
    2) If I'm dealing with a repeat offender (that insists on dropping in, snaking, wave hog repeatedly) I'll say in a nonchalant manner, "I thought I had that one." That does 2 things at once. a)It shows that I'm following etiquette and was going to go. b)I'm not going to just sit there and not call them out.
    3) If they do it one more time I say, "Look, on the next set I'm just gonna to go."
    4) It doesn't normally come to this, but the many brown spots on my beater speak for themselves. So I keep my word and go on the next set...regardless of their actions. I've run into boards, got my shins banged, pushed them off their board Mickey Dora style, had someone scream at me for a minute straight, etc.

Point is, most of the time it only gets to #2, sometimes #3. If it gets to #4 they're a **** (or deaf and inconsiderate) and are going to do whatever they want until someone stands up to them. LBC and Smithfield are right though, you've got to back it up. Not that waist-high summer chop is worth it, but eventually enough is enough.