LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ND081 View Post
    i've seen really good surfers ride soft tops before. idk why but if you're riding a soft top you're either learning, or you rip
    sometimes you find yourself far from your preferred board and you have to rent/borrow/do whatever it takes to paddle out. experienced surfers have enough confidence to ride anything.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by cresto4 View Post
    sometimes you find yourself far from your preferred board and you have to rent/borrow/do whatever it takes to paddle out. experienced surfers have enough confidence to ride anything.
    Your last line says it all. This "softtop" bashing is quite amusing. Seems to be an east coast thing. Doesn't matter what you ride, but rather how well and how much fun you're having. Love my softtop because it makes lemonade out of lemons with summer east coast waves. Don't know where the original poster was surfing, but I was out that evening....on my softtop. There was one guy out on a shortboard and he left because he wasn't catching anything.

Share waves without judgment and surf with aloha.

Today, I saw a "soft top" SUP. I was so pissed.

Didnt I see Jamie O'brien rip solid pipeline on a soft top? It was funny. Not what you ride but how you ride it.

Images
    Just like baseball, "There's no crying in surfing!"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pursuitofhappiness View Post
    Your last line says it all. This "softtop" bashing is quite amusing. Seems to be an east coast thing. Doesn't matter what you ride, but rather how well and how much fun you're having. Love my softtop because it makes lemonade out of lemons with summer east coast waves. Don't know where the original poster was surfing, but I was out that evening....on my softtop. There was one guy out on a shortboard and he left because he wasn't catching anything.
    just bought the $99 Costco 8' soft-top and have since caught a whole bunch of waves I wouldn't have otherwise. also a perfect board for small children, houseguests, and non-surfing family members. i'm already thinking i should buy a second one.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blasteroid View Post
    Didnt I see Jamie O'brien rip solid pipeline on a soft top? It was funny. Not what you ride but how you ride it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D5ugxEVBXA

Quote Originally Posted by gansett09 View Post
    I was out surfing at my local break yesterday evening and the waves were waist to stomach at best and windy. So pretty much the waves were few and far between and not that great. My rant goes like this...

There are about 10 people out with two peaks at most with 6 longboarders and 4 shortboards (I was a shortboarder) , so the longboarders "owned" the spot according to them. Now i know a lot about surf etiquette, but what amazes me is when Johnny Longboarder on his soft top catches a wave and gets right back into the lineup and goes for the next one, when we have been waiting.

At first I was calm about it because i cant blame him for using a longboard because he had the advantage over the guys with the shortboards, but after a while it really got annoying. Obviously the guys on the longboards are going to be further out and why would they give up sets coming right at them, thats not my argument, my argument is how can someone catch a wave and then paddle out for the next one, and then the next one and think nothing is wrong with that?

What ultimately ended up happening was that we sarcastically thanked him for giving us the scraps and took whatever we could get. Unfortunately, with summer there is no surf etiquette and thats something that you will have to deal with. I will just have to look forward to fall and winter surf when Johnny longboard and his soft top friends stay the hell home.
    Such is life. People will take advantage of any situation regardless of the circumstances if there are no consequences. Best to adapt to the situation and either make a stand or go somewhere else and surf. Human nature and the greed associated with it isn't going to change.

i'm pretty sure Jamie O rode the soft top as a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    i'm pretty sure Jamie O rode the soft top as a joke.
    ... or out of boredom.