LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Images
    Moving down a little has always been my preference. But you could always cut off his leash and meet him by the shower on the beach with Anthony ketis. But look out for Patrick Shwayze!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trueislander View Post
    We get crap like this during summers in WB constantly on anything bigger than knee high. I'm not really phased by it now (used to get me heated back in middle school circa '92). Now on days like that (yesterday) I do several things in a specific order.

1) STAY AWAY from the packs. I know there are breaks where that's not possible, but in NC there's usually plenty of peaks. If it's less than chest-high (which is often here) I'm on a longboard. During the summer I'm on my beater longboard. I make a point to follow etiquette (trading sets, paddling back out around the peak, calling left/right, asking if someone is "going", etc)
    2) If I'm dealing with a repeat offender (that insists on dropping in, snaking, wave hog repeatedly) I'll say in a nonchalant manner, "I thought I had that one." That does 2 things at once. a)It shows that I'm following etiquette and was going to go. b)I'm not going to just sit there and not call them out.
    3) If they do it one more time I say, "Look, on the next set I'm just gonna to go."
    4) It doesn't normally come to this, but the many brown spots on my beater speak for themselves. So I keep my word and go on the next set...regardless of their actions. I've run into boards, got my shins banged, pushed them off their board Mickey Dora style, had someone scream at me for a minute straight, etc.

Point is, most of the time it only gets to #2, sometimes #3. If it gets to #4 they're a **** (or deaf and inconsiderate) and are going to do whatever they want until someone stands up to them. LBC and Smithfield are right though, you've got to back it up. Not that waist-high summer chop is worth it, but eventually enough is enough.

Same here. In a crowd i never take back to backs, its just not a cool thing to do. Unfortunately there are wave hogs that ride shorts and longs. I'll put up with alot of crap but I have a decent quiver and an excellent ding guy so if your just gonna be an ass...... Well I'll just leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by wave1rider65 View Post
    I'll put up with alot of crap but I have a decent quiver and an excellent ding guy so if your just gonna be an ass...... Well I'll just leave it at that.
    Well played.

Also, great point about how "wave hogs" are not limited to longboards.

I ride both long and short....and I as well sit out a bit farther because of the bigger board....but I have respect for the other guys in the line up. Been there done that. Days I took the shorty out when I should of had the longboard. There is no respect in the summer. People really don't get how surfing is anymore....use to be you could have 100 guys in the line up and everyone would rotate....now you get dropped in on, mess your boards up, etc....

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by gansett09 View Post
    - the main problem for this thread was that he was hogging all the waves!!! if you have long hair and a ponytail and surfed in RI, then your the guy lol
    I have a softtop. I take my fair share of waves and ride them well. I wish I had hair.

Images
    I'd put up a post on a random surf forum and see what everyone, who wasn't there, thought about it.

Sorry, I got nothing better to say

Quote Originally Posted by yourdirtymomma View Post
    I'd put up a post on a random surf forum and see what everyone, who wasn't there, thought about it.

Sorry, I got nothing better to say
    And hope everybody comes to my defense and says how much of a kook that guy was?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    And hope everybody comes to my defense and says how much of a kook that guy was?
    You should always post without expectation (or at least expect the worse)....or you won't last long here.

To answer your question, if some kook dropped in on me, I would go Kaiser Sosa on his a$$. First I would invite him over and kill my family in front of him, just to prove that MY WAVES are more important than anything, and I would rather see my family die than to allow some kook to take ANY of my share of the surf. Second, I would kill all his dudebrobrahman friends, but leave him alive to tell all the other surfers in the lineup NOT to F with me.

OR

I would paddle up to him and say, "hey man, can you spare a few waves for the rest of us please?"

OR

I would cruise back to the crib, grab my 10-6 and sit out deeper than him and snake all his waves and everytime I paddled back out after a wave, tell him how I got pitted, so pitted.

OR

I would paddle over to another peak.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna Kai View Post
    I would cruise back to the crib, grab my 10-6 and sit out deeper than him and snake all his waves and everytime I paddled back out after a wave, tell him how I got pitted, so pitted.
    So pitted...

Best interview ever.