Hey everyone,

This is my first post, so sorry if I posted this in the wrong location.

Anyways, I have been riding a 7' 10" funboard for a couple years, and I was looking to buy a cheap, used shortboard. So, here is my info:

I live on Cape Cod, so I would generally be surfing on the national seashore - majority of waves are knee to thigh high, but I plan on using the shortboard on days where the surf is higher. Sometimes there are overhead breaks (but rarely).

I am 5' 10", 160 pounds. I consider myself above a beginner - I can catch most waves that are below head level, but above that I find the nose of my board digging into the water. I rented a shortboard and found it much easier with the bigger waves.

Anyways, I was looking for a board in the 6'6 range at local shops, and I found two semi-beat up boards for $130 and $110 (I don't care about quality that much, I just want something to mess around on).

The $130 dollar one is 6'3 in length, 20 inches wide, and 2 3/4 inches thick. This board is very thick and has a pretty decent rocker. It has a squared off tail (the regular tail - I think I used the correct terminology).

The $110 dollar one is around the same length (I don't remember the exact specifications), a little less wide, and about half the thickness. It is also very light, has a lower rocker, and has a small fin tail (like the fish tail - but the fins are not massive like most fish boards).

So, for my situation, which one would be better? The guy at the shop said that the thicker board would be easier to catch the smaller waves, but it is thick so I would sit on top of the water and could potentially ride quickly away from the break. The guy suggested the thinner board, but what do you think? The thinner board is in a little better shape.

Thanks!