LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: Popping UP !

  1. #21
    Seriously everyone thanks for the tips. Again being unemployed is keeping me from getting a 7'6 board which is what I probably need being a beginner. This 6.8 board I have was a freebie from a family member, so I'm learning the best I can on that. Again tho, Va Beach has no waves. Maybe as the year goes on we'll get some 3 feet plus ! I've always been stronger in my legs than upper body, but I've been working my upper body a lot, so hopefully it'll make it easier !

  2. #22
    Thanks man !

    Quote Originally Posted by GoodVibes View Post
    6'8" board will take you alot longer to learn on then say an 8ft.so just realize that. You tube some vids. That should help.I actually like popping up.with my hands.at my ribcage.I feel llike I get more of a spring from that position.Goodluck and stay thirsty.

  3. #23
    Awesome tip man, thanks !! I remember skateboarding back in the day, bailing was a bad habit !! Different sport, but same result !

    Quote Originally Posted by idsmashh View Post
    Don't ever bail. Remember that you are always safer when standing up then laying down. Pop-up regardless of whether you "think" you're going to make it. you'd be suprised the steep drops that you can make on a surfboard. The fins dig into the wave and provide amazing grip that will help keep it from nosediving. Also think "back foot on the pad" when you pop up. Positioning is everything. Good luck

  4. #24
    Sounds good man, thanks !

    Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    They sure can't hurt... But to be more surfing-specific, I think the squat thrust is better for getting the pop up motion down. In a squat thrust, you're pulling your knees to you chest, which is lower abs, where as a bent knee situp is more upper abs. And popping up is pulling your knee to your chest.

  5. #25
    It's kind of like skateboarding... when the adrenaline starts pumping, I feel like I lose control or things are moving way to fast, or I'm just not used to it yet. I'll get there

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    This is really good advice, it's a bad habit to get into. I always bailed, even after a good wave I would just flop and bail (never when someone was nearby). I thought it was fun and did it since I was a kid. It teaches you the opposite of what the point of surfing is, to stay on the board as long as possible. Only recently over the last several years have I concentrated on not bailing and my surfing has lept forward by a huge margin, this after 30 + years. Even after the wave has died out out I try to stay on the board to the very end. It helps in everything from floaters to barrel riding and I would guess even just starting out. If you get into the habit of bailing you will do it when ever the wave gets threatening and never learn to manuever up, over, under or around the obstacle.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    570
    Haha I thought the thread said "Pooping Up".
    VA Beach? I feel ya. Paddle every day and pay attention to your surroundings (that's at least 80% of the game). Find a sandbar that is not 1st Street. Surfing uses "long muscles". Power lifting at the gym does not help (from what I hear and personal experience). Use a board no shorter than 8' assuming you aren't short or little kid. Do this religiously. Before long, you will use different boards. Then you won't post on this forum forever until the flatness drives you insane. Then you respond to these posts. You can try this at home. You can be just like me.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,563
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodVibes View Post
    I actually like popping up.with my hands.at my ribcage.I feel llike I get more of a spring from that position..
    ^^^ Learning this right here changed everything for me

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    Did 100 burpees and a 600 meter run in 12 minutes the other night at crossfit.
    Holy crap! That's serious - did you run the 600 meters under water holding a rock?

  9. #29
    Holding a rock under water and running is a workout i would love to do !

    Quote Originally Posted by Gfootr View Post
    Holy crap! That's serious - did you run the 600 meters under water holding a rock?

  10. #30
    Hahaha! Oh Im a pro at pooping up! Yah im ready to get practicing and paddling!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by KillaKiel View Post
    Haha I thought the thread said "Pooping Up".
    VA Beach? I feel ya. Paddle every day and pay attention to your surroundings (that's at least 80% of the game). Find a sandbar that is not 1st Street. Surfing uses "long muscles". Power lifting at the gym does not help (from what I hear and personal experience). Use a board no shorter than 8' assuming you aren't short or little kid. Do this religiously. Before long, you will use different boards. Then you won't post on this forum forever until the flatness drives you insane. Then you respond to these posts. You can try this at home. You can be just like me.