LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    i am sure they used their common sense why, but wanted micahs input for their article since he owns a surf forecast site. but yeah, they're all about the big faces

As a lifeguard, year round surfer and paramedic in Sussex County, I have seen my fair share of spinal and surf injuries. Most of the time these people are completely oblivious to the waves, turn their back to the ocean, either hit their head or the weight of their head going backwards as the rest of the body drives forward causes an injury. It's pretty amazing. As a guard, I educate the people on my beach everyday. Every single lifeguard stand has a sign posted about the dangerous shorebreak on our beaches. Every day I call the patrons in from the water, gather them around the stand, and talk about the statistics of our shore break and spinal injuries. Sure there are some lifeguards that completely do not care. Please to not generalize us. This year I have not had a spinal injury near my stand. I have had them plenty before though. We cannot prevent everything. We cannot see everything. Accidents are going to happen. As a paramedic, I hear and see calls go out constantly for surf related injuries. We have kids, adults, elderly all becoming paralyzed on vacation. We have had fatalities from broken necks. It seems that the state tries to turn their head at these facts. There is no doubt that the massive shorebreak contributes to these injuries. It's common sense. If the water is barreling into the sand with no water to cushion underneath, you are going to receive more injuries then if the wave was barreling into even 3 ft of water. I would love to see something else done about this. Artificial reefs seem to be working elsewhere although there's not too many studies to support it (just yet). My gut tells me the state is too influenced by the business and property owners and their $$$ then to really care about the people it's supposed to be looking out for.

In florida, they do all kinds of replenishment, yet no shore pound! A sandbar still exists.
    Can someone please explain why?

I'm not an expert on replenishment, But I have a simple question. Why not pump some of the sand onto the sandbar at the same time you're pumping onto the beach and make sure to use the right type of sand. And pump it angularly. That would help protect the coastal property. The sandbar your creating helps protect since waves lose some of their energy off of that rather than slamming right onto the beach.

When I broke my ribs last year it was like dead high tide.Matter of fact my broken rib anniversary is this Wednesday.

Yeah, beach replenishment sucks because it messes with the normal barrier island hydrodynamics preventing sand bars from forming. Of course, our family's 1st floor oceanfront condo on 130th st in ocmd would be underwater right now if ocmd's replenishment never happened. But, man, 10 years ago I could get really fun waves right out front. I walked to my local break. Sweet! Now, unridable shore pound.

I hope the reporter does his job and contacts some of the local beach patrols. I know they keep rescue stats and it would be good to see before and after rescue/injury data for places like OCMD that underwent beach replenishment.

I'd also like to read to article when it comes out, so admin, can you post here if it ever gets published? Thanks.

Images

That guy cowan and donnely they quoted are either manipulators or have no idea what their talking about. It reminds me of the propoganda that's written every time there's a shark attack trying to promote shark conservation with lies.

Going swimming/boogie boarding/surfing is more dangerous in shore pound. DUH! How stupid are these people?
    It's like trying to argue that diving in the shallow end is just as safe as diving in the deep end. MORONS!

Obviously just politics involved here.
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Aug 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM.

It's just morons running each other over at the naval jetty.

Images
    I'm working on a new reef that I'm going to put out in front of my break. I will first seed the sand with special heavy seeds that will sink into the sand and within 6 months fire reef will start to sprout. i got these seeds from a lab. In one year ocean city NJ will be one of the heaviest reef breaks ever. this reef can turn anything over 1 foot into a head high slab. I will rule the surf spot! then become sponsored and eventually be part of the NFL hall of fame! HEAD HIGH SLABS BRO! wait for a 6 foot swell to hit my reef...... Thats right. I'm growing these reefs where ever you want for a very high price. PM guys for details and price!!!!!!!!!

video interlude waimea shorepound :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv1hQ...endscreen&NR=1