LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The man in gray

The only people who doubt this story are those without one of their own. When I read it, I got a little shiver down the spine, 'cause it hit far too close to home.

'Course I wouldn't blame anyone for adding a little embellishment for the purposes literary aesthetics. : D
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Aug 6, 2012 at 07:17 PM.

Before 1930, the sports of free diving and Scuba diving were unknown. In 1933, after graduating from Point Loma High, he and close buddies Glenn Orr and Ben Stone began 'skin' diving to supply food for their families during the Depression. In 1934, joined by Jack Corbelley and Bill Batzloff, Jack formed an active group of dive buddies, believed to be the first diving club in the United States, if not the world. They were named The Bottom Scratchers as a joke because they were always underwater scratching the bottom of the ocean to feed families and friends. To qualify for membership in The Bottom Scratchers, bring up 3 abalones from a depth of 30 feet, catch a shark of any kind with your bare hands and haul up a live lobster from a slippery underwater ledge. This was at a time when swimfins didn't exist! In addition to their bravado and great adventures, the club, an exclusive, men's only dive club, valued friendship, good sportsmanship, conservation and responsible harvesting of seafood/fish. Once numbering 20 members, only Bo Smith, Marty Pasos and Jim Stewart, and Earl Murray survive.

Truth is often stranger than fiction.

I believe it. Was out at the Frisco pier last summer and a *large* fin cruised by about 20 ft out from me. I wouldn't have seen it but a guy paddling out shouted at me and pointed. Not an awesome time to see the fin stead cruising through the water. Not like how a dolphin's fin arc's is way through. Paddled straight to shore probably faster than I've ever paddled.

Thankfully the water is clear down there so the sharks have a better view of suspected prey. At least thats what I tell myself to ease the nerves...

Last week a guy landed a shark right on the beach next to the Frisco pier in the 3-4 ft range , biggest shark I had seen caught while surf fishing. typically guys are catching sand sharks no bigger then a foot or two , I don't know enough about sharks to identify them , but it looked like a mako after I did some research .

Images
    Sounds fishy.....Sorry I just couldn't resist. I believe you. Glad you made the section.

6. Quote Originally Posted by yourdirtymomma View Post
    Sounds fishy.....Sorry I just couldn't resist. I believe you. Glad you made the section.
    pun's welcomed. me too, mamma, me too

if you don't know you don't know...
    last week in town...
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

couple weeks before that...
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

I've seen full grown 14' Hammerheads in 25' of water right off shore of WB, same with Tigers, Black Tips and Bulls (probably more in the 8' range), not to mention Manta Rays, large Barracuda and 60+ lb Cobia. I don't necessarily see all of the above every year, but with plenty of frequency. Anyone calling BS, especially around Frisco Pier, has absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

Billawrongmoney: It was probably a Black Tip Mako. True Makos are pelagic fish, it would be very, very rare to see one within even 20 miles offshore of Hatteras Bight.

Also, jumped in the water at lunch to spear around the jetty down here. Water was pretty murky, maybe only 5' of vis at best. I was searching in a rock hole when I felt a change in water pressure right behind me. Turned my head just in time to see a tail fin swimming away. I decided it would be best to just go in since I was by myself

Don't doubt it in the least, I've been out at Frisco and seen some myself....they're all over the place down there. Glad you made it into shore.

Images
    was down in frisco last winter. ****ing scary as hell. huge sharks everywhere. at least it was 12 feet and firing