LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Channel Islands Prototypes

Has anyone bought one of these? Looks like it could be a great deal and good opportunity to have a unique board from CI. Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Dean

Images
    link? I haven't heard of this yet.

Images
    Sounds like a sales pitch............

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wave1rider65 View Post
    Sounds like a sales pitch............
    do you really think channel islands needs to go on surf forums and make threads advertising their boards?

they're protoypes for a reason, they remain prototypes.

Thanks. Not a sales pitch at all. Geeze can't someone come on here and try to get some unbiased opinion without being singled out as a guy trying to sell something. WTF! I wanted to see if anyone on here has actually ordered one and liked it. The idea of getting a Semipro that was customized to maybe make it better sounds pretty cool to me.
    Last edited by 2MARG8; Aug 8, 2012 at 01:14 AM.

My go-to ding guy used to shape for CI - he left shortly after Burton took over. Needless to say, not a lot of Al's shapers were happy about Burton taking over. Right away, Burton started pushing the need for more models, especially "pro" models. Shapers were required to pump out 80 boards a week, for consumer use. Burton wanted to keep the numbers there, without sacrificing the quality. They the cut the shaper's "surf hours" in half to concentrate on "prototypes." Board after board, CI will inspect each board in many different aspects. Some designs will go on to be further examined before going on to production. The other boards were put in a "stockpile" until they found use for them - "prototypes."

Look past the name - unless you truly like the dimensions.

Dlrouen,
    Thanks so much for the info. the shape and dims do interest me.

Dean

Quote Originally Posted by 2MARG8 View Post
    Thanks so much for the info. the shape and dims do interest me.
    Since Burton took over, there has been an increase in "tail issues." A quick way to tell if your board is from the "Burton Era" is the "plug ring." Burton wanted "flair," so they added a metallic "plug ring" that loops around the leash plug. Chances are, your prototype is from the era - I would consider added an extra layer of poly to the underside of your tail. Don't count on carbon (tail) rails to absorb an insane amount of flex.

The plus side is you're getting a board that interests you, at a great price. Enjoy it.