LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Brutal Flat Spell?

Anybody else been flat ALL summer? Only two times precisely have I seen waves over ankle high in the past two months on the south shore of massachusetts...I'm getting really pissed and depressed

find something else to do. waves will come when they come.

3. it's almost always thigh-waist in hatty this time of year...

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Anybody else been flat ALL summer? Only two times precisely have I seen waves over ankle high in the past two months on the south shore of massachusetts...I'm getting really pissed and depressed
    The south shore gets waves??? Just kidding...why don't you take a drive up to NH or better yet head down to the Cape or RI...they have been having a better go of it this summer. I usually surf on the north shore MA but been heading up to NH. Scored some fun waist high sets just last friday!

Yeah had a few decent days down here in the SE

Summer in FL has actually been pretty fun this year, no complaints here.

Cape getting some random small days, but NH has been awful. Maybe thigh high at best some days. I'm with Brett - obviously this is NE and summer, but this one stands out for me as particularly brutal

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Maryland has not yet had a real summer flat spell this year. To me, a summer flat spell is more than a week straight of knee high or less. If you want to surf several days a week, and dont mind gutless longboard or fish sized waves, you've been surfing several days a week. Its been very consistent in the knee-thigh high range with quite a few waist high days. Lots of sea breeze. 10-15 mph side/onshore makes 2-3 foot waves pretty hard to get excited about.

At this point, i'd say this summer has been about average.
    Last edited by mitchell; Aug 8, 2012 at 04:25 PM.

Images
    man vb has been brutal. we have had this 1ft at 8-10 sec stuff for the majority of the summer. it's basically a clean to glassy knee high barreling fast breaking wave that you can't really do much on....with lots of surf camps. Not sure if these conditions are the norm down here since it's my first summer, but I am ready for some fun ones.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by super fish View Post
    man vb has been brutal. we have had this 1ft at 8-10 sec stuff for the majority of the summer. it's basically a clean to glassy knee high barreling fast breaking wave that you can't really do much on....with lots of surf camps. Not sure if these conditions are the norm down here since it's my first summer, but I am ready for some fun ones.
    Yea you guys arent exposed to the S/SW wind swells that we get. Ive actually surfed three times lately in OC, MD with these two guys that make the 2.5 hour drive up from Va Beach to surf waist high wind swell...they are both super stoked older guys, and as soon as i saw them both paddling out on Austins i guessed (correctly) they had driven up here to score a little DP.