LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Would you go back out?

Recently I was surfing alone off one of the VA Capes while my wife was walking the beach. It was small but definately fun surf midst this extra flat summer. Long lines and easy to catch waves and I was loving it on 9'er. While waiting for a wave, I felt a strong tug on my leash (left ankle) and immediately there was a large (d= ~6') swirl on my front right side. The water was stained and I did not see anything. I was spooked and paddled in to sit on the beach and watch. I did not see anything and so it is unlikely there were porpoise in the area. I looked at the leash carefully and it did not show any nicks or cuts. The waves were looking good and so after about 10 minutes I went back out. Later, I noticed something out of the corner of my eye that looked like a black stick sticking out of the water but did not get a clear look at it. I stayed out till my wife came back and gave me the "lets go" look. There are cow-nosed rays, big reds, loggerhead sea turtles etc in the area. I was optimistic about the visitor. What would you have done??

Quote Originally Posted by Scbe View Post
    Recently I was surfing alone off one of the VA Capes while my wife was walking the beach. It was small but definately fun surf midst this extra flat summer. Long lines and easy to catch waves and I was loving it on 9'er. While waiting for a wave, I felt a strong tug on my leash (left ankle) and immediately there was a large (d= ~6') swirl on my front right side. The water was stained and I did not see anything. I was spooked and paddled in to sit on the beach and watch. I did not see anything and so it is unlikely there were porpoise in the area. I looked at the leash carefully and it did not show any nicks or cuts. The waves were looking good and so after about 10 minutes I went back out. Later, I noticed something out of the corner of my eye that looked like a black stick sticking out of the water but did not get a clear look at it. I stayed out till my wife came back and gave me the "lets go" look. There are cow-nosed rays, big reds, loggerhead sea turtles etc in the area. I was optimistic about the visitor. What would you have done??
    I wouldn't have gotten out unless i saw for sure what it was, and even then i may have stayed out

Images
    When traveling abroad, I tend to get spooked out more often with regards to unfamiliar sea life.
    But, here's a question: Is there anything to fear, surfing in the ocean, other then the shark? What other marine life poses a threat?

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    When traveling abroad, I tend to get spooked out more often with regards to unfamiliar sea life.
    But, here's a question: Is there anything to fear, surfing in the ocean, other then the shark? What other marine life poses a threat?
    Sea Urchins, **** stings for days

Barracuda???

Blue fish running in the line up. I always curl up the toes. They'll snap a digit right off.

And (in NJ) until a confirmed sighting, I would have stayed. In NC or farther south, prob would have done what you did.

eel.
    (10 character).

I would have rode it out, but would have tucked my appendages in on the deck of me board. Like you, I would have been a bit creeped out though.

Images
    Gotta get that tangle free leash dude

Quote Originally Posted by Scbe View Post
    Not saying that I know what tugged the leash.. but I scared myself out of the water this spring while I was sitting on my board, and slightly adjusting myself on the board, a very strong tug on my leash... I jumped looked and paddled out... the next time I was out with a few other people and I felt the same exact thing and it turned out to be the leash got pushed by the tail of my board while I was adjusting myself in my sitting position....