close ad [x]

What's a good board for a grom

My daughter told me the other day she wants to learn to surf (Damn that made me proud!!!) at first I thought well she can learn on my fish its a 6'. Is that a good board for her or should I go with something else? Then I also took into account after she learns she will need her own anyway so we can both surf. Aww.

Depends on how big a gal she is.

My daughter started surfing at age 13 when she was about 5-4, 110 lbs, on an old 7-8 single fin of mine. and she did great.

If your little girl is still young and pretty small, a fish may be too wide for her to get a good deep paddle stroke in. I think if she can carry the board under her arm, then she can paddle it effectively.

Get her a CI Pod (rip-off, if available - or used) - Catches small crappy waves, tons of volume up front, and once she progresses to turns etc, she'll still be stoked on it. Mikey makes a good point about width, though.

She's probably around 4' and 63, pounds not real small. She's one of the bigger girls in her class. I see what he means I think I need to worry more about width. I'll test it out when I get home and see if she can carry it. Then go from there. Thanks for the help I'll look into the CI pod.

Place this code at the end of your tag: