LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    US territory Pacific.. funny thing is no one surfed the wave... literally down the street from my house...in the few years I lived there I was the only regular taker never once saw anyone in the water that I didn't bring.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stranded in Smithfield View Post
    US territory Pacific.. funny thing is no one surfed the wave... literally down the street from my house...in the few years I lived there I was the only regular taker never once saw anyone in the water that I didn't bring.
    What a dream come true. Thanks for sharing.

in regard to the blue fish, I have been surfing amongst a pretty incredible pack of blues, stripers, and probably some larger predators. Had a few fish brush my legs and feet, and the blues could definitely do some damage. The pack of birds above the line up, baitfish, and getting hit by the blues/bass was pretty wild. I have had seals pop up within 20' of me while surfing cape cod before too, in white shark feeding grounds which is a little sketchy. One time waiting for a set on the cape I saw a whale or two blow their spouts or w/e in the distance too. That sums up my encounters with sea creatures.

Images
    I've only been chased out of the water on the East Coast by a shark... in OBX and in Florid.
    But, if I saw something of significant size, I'd prob get out.

In Florida, there was a Manatee that popped up really close to me... He popped out, looked at me, and then slumbered back underneath. He was huge, and that was just weird.

In California, a seal stared me down for like a minute... He clearly owned that spot.

Images
    I would go back out after a while, but I won't get out unless I positively ID the animal or get the agro shark vibe. There are plenty of large creatures out there that aren't sharks. We are like skunk turds on a menu of filet mignon and lobster tails to a shark. I would choose the steak over the turd every day of the week, wouldn't you? With that being said, don't sweat it until it's biting your leg (not likely). I'm not trying to discount what sharks are capable of but don't let it F with your surfing. Most people will never be humbled by the ocean or the creatures in it. Surfers on the other hand.............

it was more then likely a mermaid. we have been spotting a lot of those around here lately

I had a bad-tempered, mean-spirited, unusually stubborn, perfectly proportioned five footer with massive teeth hang on my leash one day when I was trying to head out for a sesh.

My quick, threatened backhand chop eliminated the threat from her. For that moment anyways.

awesome story and pic, stranded.

I've had a couple rare occasions where i was spooked enough to paddle in, most of them in Florida. My buddy and I paddled out at Riviera beach one day and this gigantic, brown, thing that looked like it had scales on it's back popped out of the water about 20 feet away from us, we looked at each other with an "oh sh*t" face and paddled our asses back to shore. The only other time is when i was surfing up near Ft. Pierce and i got serious crazy vibes that there was a big shark in the water, i stayed out for a little bit, but the feeling just kept telling me to get my ass in, so i paddled in.

I've had sh*t bump the bottom of my board, a 6' bullshark cruise 2 feet in front of me with his fin up out of the water, I got to be real spooked to cut a session short....fact is, 99.9% of time absolutely nothing is going to happen, but if you dwell on that .1% chance, you'll drive yourself crazy.

Images
    I don't know the name of this spot in Northern Cal, but let’s call it Menus. There was a two page spread of this spot in Surfing a couple years ago (un named). There was an Elephant seal colony on the beach (you had to walk through it) and the big rock island out the back was covered in Sea Lions. The lineup was in between the two. Never in my life have I felt more like a menu item, three of us just sitting and waiting........for those left shacks.
    norcal.jpgnorcal2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    Not saying that I know what tugged the leash.. but I scared myself out of the water this spring while I was sitting on my board, and slightly adjusting myself on the board, a very strong tug on my leash... I jumped looked and paddled out... the next time I was out with a few other people and I felt the same exact thing and it turned out to be the leash got pushed by the tail of my board while I was adjusting myself in my sitting position....
    That would be possible except for the powerful swirl in the water.