LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 61
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    3,553

    Bad surfing habits...

    We all have them, but what is one that you really would like to fix?

    For me, I would like to stop jumping off my board at the end of my rides, sometimes I'm able to lay back down and paddle right back out, but I don't do it every time either out of laziness or because it seems more fun to fall in and then grab my board, it's just a bad habit i formed as a kid and never thought to correct. Seeing as i'm going to surf a reef in PR for the 1st time in Oct., i'd like to not step on anything while i'm down there. So i've been focusing more on falling flat if I fall, and not touching ground at the end of my rides.

  2. #2
    Jumping off is not a bad habit in my book - you're just enhancing the end of your ride. If my line is about to close out, I will carve my board up the face and jump - I get some major air. At the end of the day, it's about having fun; but you're right, you probably want to be more careful in PR.

    My habit is dragging my knee on smaller waves. The smaller the wave, the lazier I am. Can you say deck dings?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    3,553
    Quote Originally Posted by dlrouen View Post
    Jumping off is not a bad habit in my book - you're just enhancing the end of your ride. If my line is about to close out, I will carve my board up the face and jump - I get some major air. At the end of the day, it's about having fun; but you're right, you probably want to be more careful in PR.

    My habit is dragging my knee on smaller waves. The smaller the wave, the lazier I am. Can you say deck dings?
    Ya, I never thought of it as a bad habit till I realized I was going to probably end up getting stuck by something in PR if I do what I do normally, all i've ever surfed was sand bottom, some rocks but nothing major

  4. #4
    When I ride longboard, I shuffle step instead of cross stepping sometimes. Ain't pretty, but I don't surf it that much so I guess I can't be too bent out of shape since I don't practice much.

  5. #5
    one of mine used to be just paddling out before timing between sets... makes for some rough starts to a session.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    3,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna Kai View Post
    When I ride longboard, I shuffle step instead of cross stepping sometimes. Ain't pretty, but I don't surf it that much so I guess I can't be too bent out of shape since I don't practice much.
    I know what you mean, sometimes I do the same thing on the SUP, but having the larger board definitely allows for larger room for error on that move. I've gotten pretty decent at the cross step though, just takes reps like you said

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    3,553
    Quote Originally Posted by hinmo24t View Post
    one of mine used to be just paddling out before timing between sets... makes for some rough starts to a session.
    When i'm overly excited about the waves because i've spent all f'ing week studying waves charts and getting pumped, then drive 2hrs to the water, I sometimes just jump in throwing caution to the wind, and paddle out, sometimes it's no big deal, others I end up taking a set or two on the head.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    57
    Images
    1
    People say I have a "bad habit" of surfing to much. I'd be really sore from the day before (awesome rhyme) then keep going back day after day... Another one is when I'm desperate for a wave I'd be an idiot sometimes and try to ride a wave really close to the shore and end up almost riding into the sand.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    kailua-kona
    Posts
    430
    Images
    2
    lazy duck dives on smaller waves, sometimes even a smaller wave can clean you up if you don't get under it deep enough.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Stayin' Classy in San Diego
    Posts
    1,710
    Not wearing board shorts that actually fit. Surfer's Crack or even worse, the amazing dissapearing 60$ shorts! All 'cause I'm too lazy to root around for a different pair. Oh yeah and not wearing sun block and putting in my ear plugs, EVERY TIME.