LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    It's the Surfers Admit Your Bad Habits in Public Oprah Catharsis Show

Images
    foot placement - if i give it the proper attention, get my stance wide, and get my back foot in the right spot, i can do anything. if i not, i spend the rest of the wave trying to compensate. you'd think it would be automatic after all these years, but no...

oddly enough, it's a habit i picked up from skateboarding with a tight stance when i was growing up. works really well on a 34" deck with loose trucks but not so much on a 6'2".

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    We all have them, but what is one that you really would like to fix?

For me, I would like to stop jumping off my board at the end of my rides, sometimes I'm able to lay back down and paddle right back out, but I don't do it every time either out of laziness or because it seems more fun to fall in and then grab my board, it's just a bad habit i formed as a kid and never thought to correct. Seeing as i'm going to surf a reef in PR for the 1st time in Oct., i'd like to not step on anything while i'm down there. So i've been focusing more on falling flat if I fall, and not touching ground at the end of my rides.
    I'm perfect, but sounds like you need to try surfing without a leash every once in a while. You'll learn very quickly

in all seriousness my issue definitely foot placement

Images
    barrell dodging is my bad habit. I've gotten pretty good at it...here are my top methods

- take too low a line and get axed on the head

- giving up on the wave as a close out (unmakable) barrell to quickly and either straighten off or kick out over the top. Then realize it actually might have been possible. I rarely just keep driving down the line until I get swallowed up.

- get in early, out in front and just can't pull the trigger to tail-stall even though know instantly I should have.

- refuse to take a drawn out bottom turn, even on a wave where I'm clearly driving for the shoulder too fast.

barrell dodging is my bad habit. I've gotten pretty good at it...here are my top methods

- giving up on the wave as a close out (unmakable) barrell to quickly and either straighten off or kick out over the top. Then realize it actually might have been possible. I rarely just keep driving down the line until I get swallowed up.

- get in early, out in front and just can't pull the trigger to tail-stall even though know instantly I should have.
    Dang mitchell its like you've know me my whole life...I got the same issue... I don't know... I never been a barrel hound...sniffing them out... Only 3 ways i get barreled
    1. Frontside on late drops stall right into it
    2. out a little bit in front & I do a layback backside
    3. or when its impossible to not get barreled
    urgh!!!! and small waves make my arms wavy like I'm rolling up a car window... I hate that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rayblas...ream/lightbox/
    doing both in the same photo....crap and I have kook boots on... i hate myself
    Last edited by Stranded in Smithfield; Aug 10, 2012 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post

- refuse to take a drawn out bottom turn, even on a wave where I'm clearly driving for the shoulder too fast.
    this is mine as well. my favorite is getting in the perfect spot, then not crouching low enough, and getting punched in the face by the lip... :/

Surfing too many lefts since I am a goofy footer and then surfing a right and realizing how much better and sharper of turns i make on lefts

Images
    That's a sick photo

Not eating or drinking properly leading to CRAMPS!!!

i refuse to learn to surf because i already know how to bodyboard and i dont want to spend the rare 'good' days learning something else