LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Images
    Nice...but shorten up those rail busters...i mean leash loops

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodVibes View Post
    Nice quiver for as long as you have been surfing.
    Full discloser <---somehow I know it's spelled wrong....half are owned by my man....half are mine. O' sure I have eaten **** on all of them.....but I can only ride 3 of them, so far.

All glassed in Tri-Fins except the Pradanovich

Front
    9'1" x 22" x 2 7/8' by F.I.L.(Father-in-Law) Hand made fins, acrylic graphics and a resin swirl on the concave. Pretty nice pin striping too.

Back From Left
    7'2" x 22" x 2 3/4" by zaGgaffer for the Mrs. Rode it last night by the moon light. Glassed in Future Honeycombs. Acrylic graphics.

8'6" X 22" x 2.95" SouthCoast by R.Pradonovich - This board has thousands of hours, is de-lammed and a big patchy mess. The patches have patches. I still love riding it. Wish I could figure out who made the center fin, as it's one of the best I've ever used. Need to post a pic and get some help on that. I would love to go to Robin and get him to make me a new one just like it, but I don't know if that's really possible. Boards are like cars, despite being the same make and model, by the same company, from the same factory; each one has it's one little quirks.

7'6" x 21" x 2 3/4" by F.I.L. His old Slough board I inherited since he doesn't paddle out in big stuff anymore. The green arrow. Acrylic graphics; handmade, fiberglass fins. Last of the Clark foam.

6'6" x 20" x 2" - G ride by F.I.L. Got this as a wedding present at our engagement party. Rode it on the N. Side of the I.B. pier as the sun came up for the first time on our wedding day with F.I.L. Only take it out in really good conditions, like this morning. The underside is a piece of Hawaiian shirt fabric my wife picked out. The blank is a Clark Foam which the wife (fiance at the time) and I found on the street, out with the garbage when we were living in PB. Someone had thrown out a 3/8" balsa/carbon fiber/balsa stringer, high performance Clark blank with absolutely nothing wrong with that a planer didn't fix. Some people's kids. Glassed in, handmade fins.

6'4" x 20" x 2 3/4" - MB Surfing Designs #2075 - The Warrior by Michael Baron. The oldest board in my quiver. The board I learned to surf on. Yellowed and the not quite as springy as she was 17 years ago; definitely some scars. That big one on the underside is from slamming into some rocks, but water tight. My repair jobs have gotten a lot better over the years.

Other boards come and go, but these are the boards I'll never get rid of. I'll never sell 'em and I'll ride 'em and keep pathcin' 'em until they fall apart.

those are great quivers
    Last edited by Turrtle; Oct 15, 2012 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Turrtle View Post
    Here's a small portion, not totally up to date. Ill try and take a current one at some point.

Not just a CI fanboy...although I grew up riding them. Now Im a huge fan of Lost...have had some great boards from some local shapers as well. Even though I consider CI, Lost, and Rusty relatively local shapers as well...
    I highly doubt those are all your boards, I can't imagine how much money you would have spend on them

Quote Originally Posted by inkdink View Post
    I highly doubt those are all your boards, I can't imagine how much money you would have spend on them
    Maybe he gets them for free? Some of them don't look like they've ever seen a bar of wax though.

Lol all mine man. And Now I'm building the same quiver in ...Losts
    The secret is no kids...
    I'm really trying to figure this out, what do you do, never ride them? Ride them once and then strip the wax? Stick pine resin on your feet? Where's the beef? I mean wax?

I've been collecting comic books since I was 7 years old. I have a few. According to my wife, a few thousand too many. I keep telling her as soon as the market picks back up, I'll trim the collection a little (yeah right, my Silver and Golden Age stuff will go to my grandchildren); plus I haven't bought any since I was in my early 20's. Some, I have two copies of, one that I read and one that got slipped into a plastic bag and got backed before it ever left the store and has never seen direct sunlight. Is that what's going on here? If so, that's a cool obsession, you should start collecting Frye's or Terry Martin's. There's some money there in the long run, more than CI or ...Lost, I think. I would, there are couple I've had my eyes on over the years, but I ride the sh!1 outta my boards. You surf 25-30 days out of the month, they start taking a beating. I go and drop some serious change on a new Frye and I know I'm gonna have to ride it. Next thing you know it'll look like all my other boards do, ridden hard and put in the stables wet. Ah obsessions, I understand them all too well.

You up in the O.C. turrtle or down here in SD or up in Santa Barbara? You referred to 'em all as "local shapers" so you must be out here on the left coast.

P.S. - Without kids, who washes the dishes and vacuums the floors? You get a good 10-12 years of labor out of 'em if you raise 'em right.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Sep 7, 2012 at 01:08 AM.

Lol all mine man. And Now I'm building the same quiver in ...Losts
    ...why? what purpose does that serve? i'm all for extensive & varied quivers, but having 2 near-identical quivers from 2 different labels? i'm not sure i get it...

Right on, freshy wax job, right about the third or fourth application, is like a perfectly broken in pair of sneaks. What do you use to de-wax that much? I imagine a 19(?) board quiver makes it a little simpler and less frequent, but still! kids and the mrs require space for their toys too, i have imposed limits.

I rub sand in my wax each time I surf. Plays hell with with no rash guard. My wax coats last about 2-3 months on avg for the 3 boards I use the most. Weeks 6-10 you always start losing b'ps and start getting a smoother surface, causes a little more slip wit' post-op knees. Takes me another 2 wks to strip a coat off. I usually just leave 'em in the sun for about 10 M and start going at it with an an old school comb. They turn yella, I just make a new one.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Sep 7, 2012 at 05:49 AM.

I strip the wax off my boards 2x a year... when the water temp and wax type change. Yea, it gets thick and dirty... turns black from my wetsuit... gets all over everything... who cares.

As for wax buildup making your board heavy... don't you know wax floats? It gives your board better buoyancy!