Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Lets Talk About The SI App

I like the app. Its pretty good. Its good for this reason - it shows me current conditions which I can apply to the places I surf. water temp, buoy, wind speed and direction, and tide. That's all I need for morning check.

But the reason most people use the app is for forecasting. Nobody who seriously surfs thinks there is a model out there that's going to be right on outside of 3 days. Even inside 3 days can be a crapshoot. Its weather - we get it.

But this is my beef. The buoy is ringing 4.7 feet at 8 seconds, the cams I use are showing waist high +, I go to the beach and its waist to chest +, and the app says today is going to be ankle high. Does the algorithm not correct with buoy and wind data? How can a wave forecasting app be reporting the wrong conditions ON THE DAY THE CONDITIONS ARE HAPPENING?

Lastly, the app missed last weeks swell in its entirety. If I was traveling, I'd look at the app and think - good... There is no surf. Then I'd open IG and see that, well sh!t, all my friends are surfing head high plus ground swell and the app is telling me its going to be knee high.

WTF?
    Last edited by Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor; Oct 20, 2016 at 09:52 PM.

We're actually working on the app, so I really appreciate the feedback!

Sorry it's having issues.

How come Monmouth County keep throwing a error?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor View Post
    I like the app. Its pretty good. Its good for this reason - it shows me current conditions which I can apply to the places I surf. water temp, buoy, wind speed and direction, and tide. That's all I need for morning check.

But the reason most people use the app is for forecasting. Nobody who seriously surfs thinks there is a model out there that's going to be right on outside of 3 days. Even inside 3 days can be a crapshoot. Its weather - we get it.

But this is my beef. The buoy is ringing 4.7 feet at 8 seconds, the cams I use are showing waist high +, I go to the beach and its waist to chest +, and the app says today is going to be ankle high. Does the algorithm not correct with buoy and wind data? How can a wave forecasting app be reporting the wrong conditions ON THE DAY THE CONDITIONS ARE HAPPENING?

Lastly, the app missed last weeks swell in its entirety. If I was traveling, I'd look at the app and think - good... There is no surf. Then I'd open IG and see that, well sh!t, all my friends are surfing head high plus ground swell and the app is telling me its going to be knee high.

WTF?
    This doesn't seem like an issue with the app, it seems like bad forecasting that would be no different on the website than the app. SI reports conditions in Delaware from data from a buoy about 150 up the coast when there are like 5 closer wave buoys. Its literally wrong ALL the time, unless wave conditions off Monmouth County new jersey just happen to be the same as in Delaware, which anyone will tell you is rare.

Does not update enough.

Should show swell height, not wave height.

Since you axed...

I really appreciate the feedback again guys!

Any other issues or changes you would like to see? No promises on the changes but this sort of feedback really helps us provide a better user experience.

I don't use the app, so no help here. Now the website on the other hand has plenty that could be modified. It was better before the "new" software "upgrade". It's faster now, I think, but the whole Surf Crew thing and loss of so much functionality, Doug can't see his pictures, certain profiles have an error message when you click on them, the list goes on.

Do the profiles work at all? I used to like that feature when you could see who was looking at your profile. Plus you got to put a little blurb about yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by CBSCREWBY View Post
    Do the profiles work at all? I used to like that feature when you could see who was looking at your profile. Plus you got to put a little blurb about yourself.
    Some profiles work, others don't, I've asked before and nobody told me why. I remember the "who's viewing your profile" feature, the profiles were more functional then. I don't touch anything on that part of the site now. I only come here and check forecast. Sometimes look at pics or vids, but not often.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Some profiles work, others don't, I've asked before and nobody told me why. I remember the "who's viewing your profile" feature, the profiles were more functional then. I don't touch anything on that part of the site now. I only come here and check forecast. Sometimes look at pics or vids, but not often.
    I just clicked on your profile. No info but a commercial to eat maggots or some other disgusting looking thing and I'll never have to diet again! lmao...