LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Southern Hemi Swell

I recently read an article about the elusive southern hemi swells that reach the mid atlantic.. dont remember if it was here or MSW. Theres currently a large area of strong north fetch pretty close to western south africa. Sure, i can wait a few days and see what the wave models have in store for us, but in the meantime, anyone think a bit of refraction is possible around those outer carribbean islands that could pull this 18 second swell into the pristine and breathtaking shorelines of New Jersey?

18 second?

*dies*

It's not so much the island blockage that we suffer from, but the continental shelf. Longer period swells need deeper water to survive traveling that far. This is probably the biggest reason we are less consistent than the west coast. The west coast shelf is much shorter. However, occasionally southern hemi swells have just enough energy to push through and usually show up as a small pulse on our beaches. I've never seen one greater than waist high.

I'd say usually once a year we see them. On it's own it's noticable, but hardly worth surfing, but if you're lucky and it combos in with a typical shot of south wind swell, it can make it quite a bit better than your average summer crap.

Off the top of my head I remember last 4th of july being a really fun day of south windswell mixed with southern hemi long period.

*edit*
    Wow, just looked at the models and that is a very rare one, It looks like the rotation is going to be far enough north so that actual fetch will be pointed towards us,not just swell refracting , it is pretty much clear of brazil. It's rare that they go that far north. We will definitely see something from that, your guess is as good as mine if it's going to be surfable.
    Last edited by SkegLegs; Aug 13, 2012 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkegLegs View Post
    I'd say usually once a year we see them. On it's own it's noticable, but hardly worth surfing, but if you're lucky and it combos in with a typical shot of south wind swell, it can make it quite a bit better than your average summer crap.
    Completely agreed. As noted this doesn't happen very often, but if 2 ft of this southern stuff escapes the S Atlantic and heads our way and it arrives when there is 2 ft of local chop, you could have chest high sets.

Quote Originally Posted by parippa View Post
    I recently read an article about the elusive southern hemi swells that reach the mid atlantic.. dont remember if it was here or MSW. Theres currently a large area of strong north fetch pretty close to western south africa. Sure, i can wait a few days and see what the wave models have in store for us, but in the meantime, anyone think a bit of refraction is possible around those outer carribbean islands that could pull this 18 second swell into the pristine and breathtaking shorelines of New Jersey?

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/wxmap_cgi...081312&set=All

I saw that show up on the models this morning. The article was on http://www.obxsurfinfo.com/2012/07/2...sphere-swells/

Great little article... Never knew about this.

Quote Originally Posted by takklz View Post
    Great little article... Never knew about this.
    I was not able to open this page. I read the article in obxsurfinfo, and that was very interesting. I'm going down there next week. Would love to see some of that long period southern hemi swell!

Images
    how long would it take for that to reach us?